Amp tuning confusion

A bit of help requested... I checked my max head unit setting for clipping (48 @ 40Hz -0db, 50 @ 1kHz -0db). Then I proceed to set my amp gains. I didn't know which to use, -5db, -10db, or -15, so I used -10. Set both amps to just below clipping. Then I started to run some test tones through to check a few things... WOAH! Clip city! Flat tops from hell! I reset my gains using these tones (40Hz and 1kHz), and left it there.

Anyone have any idea if that is right, or if I am doing something majorly wrong? For the record, I am using the DD-1 and CC-1 test disks w/ a Rigol Oscilloscope. The head unit is a Sony Bluetooth unit (test tones in WAV format from D'Amore's website). Amps are Tezla Audio, 120.4D and 1500.1D.

Maybe I am just having understanding the usage of the different tones.

^^ if you play test tones with less atennuation than -10dB (-0, -5, -7.5, etc.) you're going to have a bad day. You have to use -10dB or lower tones.

I guess where I am having the problem is if I am running music, wouldn't that distort like the tones?

I'm not sure what attenuation the tones I used are.

So... I think I will reset the mids amp with -5db... what about the sub amp? -5 as well? Or just set it all with 0db....

This is where confusion sets in.... I'm trying to keep from frying the sub or door speakers. Before retuning, if I noticed my voltage drop below 12v, I would dial back the sub a little. Then again, I think I might have other problems... not enough alternator (140A), not enough battery (starting battery & Optima Yellow Top).....

Archived