DD-1 First time use questions

well pre outs tend to distort way after the crappy 12w internal amp on most headunits. So set your gain at volume whatever and your mids are gonna be distorted to hell and back.

That is why i said to do it that way.

I'm trying to understand this, but I haven't ever installed an aftermarket HU myself. (the vehicle was purchased with it).

You're saying the outputs directly on the back of the HU distort after (at a higher volume?) than the internal amp of the HU? So by using the DD-1 directly on the amplifier instead of the pre-outs, I'm allowing more distortion?

This is confusing to me, sorry, and thanks for trying to help.

He is saying that the internal amp in the head unit will distort and clip way before the RCA outputs will. That is why I recommended the amp I did in my last post, might as well get the most out of those Kenwood door speakers.

^

pretty much that. Find out your lowest volume for distortion at any point.

Use that as your reference.

You also need to consider how loud you actually turn up your headunit normally.

at the end of the day, you are pretty much just gonna have to set gains at whatever your max volume is when listening to music normally.

if you have a sub level control on the headunit, turn it down to minimum and start at the volume above.

If you have no distortion, turn up sub level until just before it does.

What track you use is up to you.

sorry, all this is clear in my mind on how to do it, but trying to explain it here seems like its going to take 3 paragraphs of things like, "if this condition exists, do X or else do Y and then if this other condition exists then do Y but you may do X if Z is true.

well pre outs tend to distort way after the crappy 12w internal amp on most headunits. So set your gain at volume whatever and your mids are gonna be distorted to hell and back.

you do know that there are pretty much no "pre amp" outs on the decks made today. do you have proof showing this is the case?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

you do know that there are pretty much no "pre amp" outs on the decks made today. do you have proof showing this is the case?

pre-amp / line out are interchangeable terms imo. But i guess i could be more accurate in my wording if you like.

Thanks all for the input. I'm looking into getting an amplifier for the door speakers in the Blazer. Technically that vehicle belongs to my sister, so unless she wants to cover the cost, or sell me the vehicle, it probably won't happen lol.

Will a dedicated amp for door speakers allow me to turn the HU up higher before distortion, or just make it louder at the same levels as previously?

First, grab something like this guy for the first vehicle. http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r250x4

As for vehicle #2 are you running a LOC or does that amp have high level inputs? basically how are you getting the speaker lever output into your amp.

Running LOC's in both vehicles (line out converter, right?). I got them with the subwoofer setups when I purchased them used, and it was way easier to install than going directly into the HU.

Archived