Second Skin Audio

physics of a sub and moving air

It's the same as how wind blows things around. The air around us is a mixture of gases, including but not limited to: nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide. The atoms of these intermixed gases are bumping into each other all the time, and when the woofer drives forward it displaces the surrounding atoms. Those atoms move and slam into other atoms, which slam into other atoms, and so on.

Eventually those chain reactions of bouncing atoms run into hairs, or plastic bags, or shirts or whatever. If you have a large amount of cone area (Sd), and a large amount of movement (xmax), you can push a lot of atoms around.

It's the same as how wind blows things around. The air around us is a mixture of gases, including but not limited to: nitrogen, oxygen, argon, and carbon dioxide. The atoms of these intermixed gases are bumping into each other all the time, and when the woofer drives forward it displaces the surrounding atoms. Those atoms move and slam into other atoms, which slam into other atoms, and so on.

Eventually those chain reactions of bouncing atoms run into hairs, or plastic bags, or shirts or whatever. If you have a large amount of cone area (Sd), and a large amount of movement (xmax), you can push a lot of atoms around.

I like this. do you know what kind of energy this is? also how does cone size relate to that? my 3 tens vs 1 18?

Not positive but iirc sub physics are basically piston physics. Kind of like turning your car into a big compressor except with no intake so it doesn't build pressure constantly, it just increases and decreases it rapidly.

All you are doing is changing the size of your cabin, when the sub moves forward the cabin gets smaller, when it moves back it gets bigger.

I like this. do you know what kind of energy this is? also how does cone size relate to that? my 3 tens vs 1 18?

I'm pretty sure it's kinetic energy.

Archived