Second Skin Audio

Subwoofer ideas!

Awesome info. Know any box designers on here, or should I post for someone to help

I used to ask Ram Designs, but he doesn't do that anymore.

You could find someone here for a good design. Make a new topic in the subwoofer section.

Give all the info first.

black BMW X1 2.0 l 192 hp

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

If you're still looking for a good sub for a reasonable price check out B2 audio. I have one of their entry level IS12v3 subs and it just destroys my room. I have a NU3000 and put it on bridged at 4 ohm (so, from what others have noted ~2000W or so of RMS power) and can play the sub at full power for 5+ minutes without it barely getting warm all the while considering that the sub is rated for 750W RMS. I also know a guy who has 3 of the same subs (12" rated for 750RMS) and is getting 153+ on 3000 W, no deadener and a crap electrical job. Honestly a great company that overbuilds and underrates their products for relatively cheap costs (my sub cost me $169). My box is also tuned to 26Hz and this sub really gets down on the lows. I would really advise at least checking out their main page for info and try looking up some demos on youtube. I know they're not super popular like DD, Sundown or any of the others but they sure can compete with the best of them.

This is their home page: http://www.b2audio.com/

This is their store: http://b2audiostore.net/

I'll take a look, but definitely leaning towards the SSA subwoofers. Thanks for the info and tip. Anyone have any real world comparisons of these two? The SSA being SQ oriented with some beefy spl had got me hooked.

I know guy who lives right down the road who made a SQ build in his trunk car and it hits 150 with 2 12's. Sorry I can't really give input on SSA I have no personal experience with them. I've only briefly heard a demo of some at a show a year or so back.

Hey Notorious, how would you feel about giving your local Mazda service center a call? Lol ??

Since the rest of the world get choices of diesel and gas options, curious if you could ask the master tech if the 2 different alternators are interchangeable in the gas / diesel variants. Look wise they look the same roughly, as well as the master tech here in the states saying it should be the same.... But he's also never seen a diesel, figured yours deals with both and they could at least look at their invetory. I tried emailing one, but nothing. And from my, combat tour in Afghanistan.... Brits talk to damn fast, and don't speak English right. (HAHA.... so American of me.)

My local Mazda dealer only sell the Diesel engines.

I bet he can't speak about yours.

I'll ask him anyway. And I'll let you know.

OEM head unit, Amplifiers Audison AP 8.9 amp with integrated DSP and Ampere Audio 1200.

Focal ES 100 K in front doors, and Dayton RS 180 for midbass under the front seats.

2 SSA DEMONS 10" subs, in a 2.6 ft3  ported box. SecondSkin Damplifier on front doors, and Luxury Liner Pro for the cargo area.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got my amp in last week. And seems when the alpine blew it it decided to be a greedy bastard and take the subs with it. I limped this past week cus something is better than nothing. But yeaaaaa those subs gone. So 3 week build (+21 day) build time for the SSA unless i wanted the 12 zcon. They have 2 in stock.

Will there be and real world difference between the 12 and 15 to justify the time diff

Get the 15".

Well worth the wait.

• 1 month later...

WOW.... Holy shit. Finally was able to get the SSA Xcon, Twisted Sounds 1.8k, and my custom ported box installed, and somewhat configured...... Wow... Wtf, im scared to turn this beast up!?! O honesty don't think my windshield can even take it. Im literally floored by this beast. I can't even imagine or fathom thier bigger subs lolol. Hopefully here soon i can finish tuning, and all the little last finishing touches and ill see about getting it tested and pop a video of it. Thank you guys so much. Whewww!! I still need to figure out about the power system (alternator) grr. Bout the only thing I can see is to move ac coolant lines and radiator lines and finding someone to fabricate an ingenious sturdy design for a secondary alternator. Then some form of voltage regulation so i can connect to the battery instead of through the ecu.

Post some pics please.

Nice choice !

You should have a voltmeter in the car, just in case something goes wrong, speaking from experience.

Try a 2nd AGM battery in the spare tire location (as I have no spare tire from stock) if you think you need more.

The underhood battery can be very big : maybe a single AGM battery here would do good enough ? I have an XS S3400 there (it' s a Group34) but I could fit a bigger one easily.

The stock battery was bigger (in size) than the XS !

Archived