Second Skin Audio

Single HDC3 18" Subwoofer Box questions (sealed vs ported)

Poerted enclosure will make a huge difference . Make sure its designed and built right for the sub .

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

Poerted enclosure will make a huge difference . Make sure its designed and built right for the sub .

Would you recommend I upgrade the amp while I'm at it as well?

If I'm not upgrading the amp, would this subwoofer on 1100W need extra bracing inside? Or just double baffling?

I would do some bracing and double baffle anyway . . . If your able to it wouldnt be a bad thing to upgrage power . . . . I would also replace that sony amp

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

HDC series is for ported use Not sealed so you should change the box, 6 cubic feet net @34-38Hz and 100 square inches of port area, on the amp you will gain about 3dB (maybe), it is noticeable just not twice as loud as some would expect.

I would do some bracing and double baffle anyway . . . If your able to it wouldnt be a bad thing to upgrage power . . . . I would also replace that sony amp

Yeah that's a dual 2 channel with only 1 channel working...running all 4 of my door speakers lol. I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. There are just so many options, I don't know what to choose and what will get me the most bang for my buck.

I think the first step will probably be getting a ported box and seeing if it does make a difference. Then if I need to, I can up power.

Currently the setup is way louder than I need for daily use. I usually cruise around with the bass amp attenuation knob at around 40-50%. But I always like being able to show off the system for people who aren't used to subwoofers ;)

HDC series is for ported use Not sealed so you should change the box, 6 cubic feet net @34-38Hz and 100 square inches of port area, on the amp you will gain about 3dB (maybe), it is noticeable just not twice as loud as some would expect.

The man, the myth, the legend! I've seen a ton of helpful posts from you since I've been lurking Joe!
If you're bored and want to help out a noob, would you mind designing something like that box you described, for me?
I have about 37.5" wide x 23.5" deep x 20" high to work with.
If that isn't enough room for 6 cubes net, I could probably move my amps and get access to 37.5" wide x 36" deep x 20" tall. But I would prefer not to unless absolutely necessary.

Yeah that's a dual 2 channel with only 1 channel working...running all 4 of my door speakers lol. I'm trying to figure out what to replace it with. There are just so many options, I don't know what to choose and what will get me the most bang for my buck.

I think the first step will probably be getting a ported box and seeing if it does make a difference. Then if I need to, I can up power.

Currently the setup is way louder than I need for daily use. I usually cruise around with the bass amp attenuation knob at around 40-50%. But I always like being able to show off the system for people who aren't used to subwoofers ;)

The ppi 900.4 has worked real good for me and is not to bad on the price . . . If its loud to you now its going to be crazy once you have a good ported enclosure built

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

Archived