as long as your happy is all that matters! ^^

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

after 2 years with fatmat. 1 layer on the back cab wall fell off. its unsticking in on this 1 small strip on the roof but just a small area...

for the price and what its done so far its good. but recentl;y having a few problems

VEM will loose strength with heat and age, all glues do

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

• 3 weeks later...

also, another wild thing, Fatmat and Raam mat happen to be the SAME MATERIAL! its cooked the same, weighs the same, the only difference is ones shiny and ones not shiny :o

You must be looking at some VERY old samples of RAAMmat to come to that conclusion. FatMat is and always was asphalt. RAAMmat has been a butyl blend for many years. If you apply heat around 220°F to the RAAMmat sample you have and it melts, you have an old version that hasn't been available for ~ 5 years.

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

i bought a roll of fatmat. and here is what i have to say about it.... on my vertical surfaces i used dynamat extreme as i did not know about damplifier pro i chose not to use fat mat after reading about the sticking issues..HOWEVER i bought stinger carpet pad for the entire floor and thats what im putting the fatmat under and i couldnt be happier instead of 300+ for the high quality butyl products i coated the floor twice and had tons left over for 140.00 i let the fatmat air out for 2 weeks before and after install and it works fantastic for what i bought it for. i think its all about what you want.if you want a VALUE product that will be better than nothing for non essential applications then fatmat is good...would i use it as a solo product on my doors and roof NO WAY!!!

thought i would go into more detail on my personal experiences with various sound deadening. first i learned a long time ago that the peel and stick products no matter what the brand arent really sound deadeners.... the help a great deal dont get me wrong but if youve heard PROPER sound deadening like carpet pad or other actual sound dampers you will quickly see the difference.. DONT get me wrong a layer of GOOD butyl based stick and peel is a GREAT start i did my first car a 1997 TOO SLOW jetta with it and my god what a difference.

It is just that the stick and peel seems to work great as vibration dampening and high frequency noise blocking with sound reduction as a side dish, i put dynamat extreme in all the vertical surfaces and what a difference. IN my next car a loud 2001 celica gts 6 speed i put stinger roadkill (VERY SIMILAR to dynamat) on all vertical surfaces and carpet pad on the floor WOW that was nice.

The current project is my recently removed from daily driving 2007 scion tc release series 3.0... not the most solid build car IMO as you get a lot for the money and they had to cut corners somewhere but i fell in love with the kaminari body kit so i went with it as a project car. anyway i have 2 layers of fatmat under stinger carpet pad on the floor , the doors are done with a mix of dynamat extreme and stinger roadkill, whenever i can find sales.. so far ive only spent 160.00 on TWO bulk packs of dynamat extreme and stinger roadkill. si it pays to be patient. anyway the butyl based vinration dampening is on both metal skins of the door with stinger overkill foam material on the plastic panel of the door...i CANNOT say enough to using a foam sound blocker on the plastic door panels WOW.

however a word of caution your factory clips WILL NOT FIT. i had to use black plastic rivets. anyway back to the point. i find NO difference between dynamat extreme and stinger roadkill both go on solid , stay there and work great. the fat mat is a pain in the tookis to work with. i had to air it outside for 2 weeks before smell went away and an additional 10 days after i heated it up to get smell away. the product works well as an UNDERSKIN for the carpet pad but in hindsight i will NEVER BUY IT AGAIN. while it does the job...next time ill just spend the extra money...... as always trying to save some money bit me in the tookis( rear end).

i never had to use a heat gun with the butyl based stuff its been on for over 4 years and NO sign of any issues.. i genuinly wish i had known about the second skin company...from ALL reports they are a company that cares a great deal. i have decided that i will not use the fatmat on the remaining vertical surfaces as it is a panoramic glass roof and gets incredible hot, probably will look at the Bstock damplifier as the pillars and fenders are all that left to do and they are not critical areas so the minor inconsistencies arent an issue from the bstock. Sorry for the rambling but just wanted to share my experience with FATMAT, summed up is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.... aka dont cry if that 50.00 muffler off ebay does not turn your 4 banger into a 10 second car..........

If the price was lower I would rip the fat at out and put in damPlifier but they make a good product from what I hear and can obviously command the prices

Archived