Rolex's 2005 Hyundai XG350 updated 7/3/16

Lets get down and dirty! One owner, my neighbor, 2005 XG350L with 59,500 miles. Car is solid, neighbor took great car of it and took care of me on price. Older lady with $ and wanted a new Lincoln.

1_zpsnleqosrg.jpg

Picked it up in late May and started work on Friday 6/17. Gotta make this quick as my surgery date is coming up fast!!!!

Lets get started with the dash. Factory Premium Infinity/JBL set up. Welcome to 2005 with the cd/cassette combo.

2_zps7buhvrfi.jpg

lets see what we are working with

3_zpsecxbmu8s.jpg

4_zpsvghczgvz.jpg

Now here's what we have going in:

5_zpshnsinedu.jpg

The plan is to have an Alpine Deck feeding a Fosgate EPX2 via input A and using input B on the processor to get signal from 3.5mm aux input so I can plug in phone. I want to go with a stealth install but the first problem I ran into is the fact that the RDAT from the EPX2 doesn't fit the pocket in the Metra Kit.

6_zpsmoiwakdk.jpg

So after a nit of cutting and grinding we have success. Nice tight fit!

7_zpst5rl907j.jpg

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

Just let me finish my pie

~ Juice

I decided to go right down the middle with a big portion of the wiring. Here I'm running The RDAT cable and single RCA from the deck that will feed the EPX2. You can how it dumps back into the trunk.

11_zpsuqrfmmvp.jpg

12_zpsubwz1wz1.jpg

13_zpsds7dazze.jpg

In the pic above you get a spy shot of the deck. The pick below shows the dash buttoned up and me working out how much cable I need so that people can use the RDAT. When not in use the cable can be feed back behind the dash to complete the stealth look.

14_zpslmyvcfgj.jpg

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

One of the "shortcomings" of working with "older" equipment is the lack of some of the useful tools or latest technology we have become used to. The EPX2 is still a great processor, but lacks a bass knob. The deck that I'm using doesn't have an auxiliary input or USB. I could try and find an interface for the CD changer control but that would require me to always use the radio, and with there being two inputs on the EPX2

I thought of a different way to do things that revoled around the armrest section.

15_zpsijayivw2.jpg

16_zpskjo3z9q7.jpg

17_zpsji5bmwva.jpg

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

1st lets address the issue of bass control. In comes the good old PAC LC-1. I wanted this somewhere I had access to it without stretching. What better lace than right under the arm rest. So after taking the face plate off and using the unitbit...

18_zpsdnzuwibn.jpg

19_zpsaksuouln.jpg

20_zpstnjsllyg.jpg

Obviously this meant running two more sets of RCA's down the middle bringing our count to 3 sets of RCA's and the RDAT cable so far.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

the next issue to address was the inability to connect my phone to the system. In enters the AUX input. In keeping with the stealth approach I opted to go it from inside the arm rest.

the 1st pic shows the insert that loads into the center console. Luckily I had a lot of room to work with.

21_zpshdjkv34r.jpg

a close up of the perfect fit of the AUX jack. A unibit and the right parts go a long way. That lighter will come in handy later so dont forget about it!

22_zpsi0ayvxlf.jpg

and on the reverse side ( Circled in red) you can see I have more wiring to contend with. It aint that easy folks!

WP_20160618_046_zps1qp3i8kj.jpg

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

In true old school fashion I gave a second chance at life to some truly classic signal wire Rockford Fosgate WHITE WOLF!

This is the same wire that brings signal from the deck to input A. I have another set that will bring the AUX input into input B. But first some soldering and heat shrink.

24_zpsj5ehyldf.jpg

25_zpsp0jx83nh.jpg

We are now sitting at 4 sets of RCA's and the RDAT cable down the middle. I elected to use the remote turn on wire in each of the White Wolf Cables. The Bass knob RCA's are also RF.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

Remember a few posts ago I mentioned I didn't want to have to depend on the radio for the AUX to work. Well, by using INPUT B on the EPX2 I could turn the radio off and just work off my phone. But if I turn the radio off then how will the remote turn on get power to the system in the back???

In comes the secondary remote turn on. With the flip of a switch I can turn the system on even though the radio is off. Again, with the use of the right equipment and the unibit we are golden.

26_zpsezsxkkwn.jpg

The great thing about this is that I was able to catch power for this right from the lighter a few inches away! The other great thing is the fact that the lighter is switched. So whenever the car is off it kills power. So no worries on draining the battery. Catch power and ground from the lighter, connect to the remote wire on the RCA and presto!

27_zpstwmd124c.jpg

28_zpsb3nysmpp.jpg

When not on the light is out. When on the light is red! Duh AND smack an adapter in the lighter and I now have a USB charging port!

30_zpswtgm2ezq.jpg

29_zpsjhsxtv5u.jpg

This would wrap up my work in the center console. We ended up with 4 RCA's, 2 of which had remote wire attached, and one RDAT cable down the middle and into the trunk. From here it was all about cleaning the pieces and reassembling the center console.

Rolex you sicken me.

this_zpszasq3bwt.gif

~ Juice

Archived