help with home made bookshelf speakers

i think i might build some boxes using my polk db 5.25" components. i might use one or two fosgate p2 8" subs for the low end.

i think i want to go with about .3cuft net for the mids with 100hz tuning and a shit ton of port area.

not sure what i will do on the subs yet, but i will probably go with either sealed to save space, or tune around 45 as i rarely listen to formats at home that play below 40hz anyway. i hope this will give me a smoother transition between the subs and the mids.

so i want to ask, does this seem like a decent plan? any advice, suggestions, questions?

soory for the late reply, i forgot i posted this. Passive crossovers, the mid will probably have a bass blocker around 100hz or i will buy something with active ability.

I would almost do sealed mids to help them transition to the sub. Where do you plan to cross it over? Check out Parts Express website. They have a ton of info on DIY home speakers.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

ive been on parts express quite a few times. Im not sure if i want to power them with one some of their amps or use this sony i have with 2 channel and sub out.

also, i mention 100hz high pass , im pretty sure the sony is internally HP at about 60ish from how the mids sound.

Maybe use the Sony since you already have it. Also something I remember from back in the day. There is something about the golden rule for the ratio of height to width to depth for a hi fi speaker cabinet. I will try to find the book I saw it in. Maybye triticum can elaborate. It might not be relevant now days I don't know. Make sure to post pictures.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

i think there is gonna be a decent gap between the mid and sub, so i want to help the mid play down a bit lower with the port. Of course it may just ruin the vocals too. i dont really have any idea to be honest.

let me type a pragraph here to better outline this.

i have a sony HCD-EC98P specs are as follows (note, im using canadian wattage ratings as they are at 1% distortion and us are at 10%) O.o

With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 120 – 10,000 Hz; 60 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.7% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output. High channel With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 2,000 – 13,000 Hz; 60 watts per channel minimum RMS power, with no more than 0.7% total harmonic distortion from 250 milliwatts to rated output.

Sub out is rated @130 watts @4ohm. I'm guessing it is 120 down.

so i guess i could port the mids at 120hz and let the stereo handle all the crossover work as it has bandpassed mid out already.

The power ratings are fine for the polk DB's a bit low for a pair of p2 8's, but i could put them in a big box i guess.

Any ideas?

edit: manual

http://diagramas.diagramasde.com/audio/Sony_HCD-EC98P~988906801.pdf

Archived