Second Skin Audio

Finalized box design. Thoughts? Should I change anything

I finalized my box design for 2 Crescendo Forte 18's and I just wanted to hear everyone's thoughts so I could make any changes before buying my materials and starting the build process.

PICTURES: http://imgur.com/a/qxc2b :PICTURES

So if anyone saw my last post the box looks mostly the same with slight dimension changes

I put in 1 1/4" dowels for bracing, but have one question. At first I was just going to glue them into place and think that would work, but after looking around forums it seems like that isn't a good idea.

I was thinking of just tapping them in with a brad nailer or a screw while the glue dries, would this be good enough or would it still end up failing overtime?

The baffle is also going to be 1 1/2" thick

Feel free to criticize so I can hopefully make the best box for my subs. :)

What amp are you going to be running? Input power has a big effect on required port size (which is why port are per cube rules are too simplistic).

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm in the field now but when I get in tonight I can look as see what kind of port velocity you should be getting. My inclination is that you will be fine on that amount of power. If you think you may run more power in the future though that may be a good reason to do things differently.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

More port area is generally better, but without seeing what port velocity you are likely to get its hard to say if going to 10" will be worth it.

BTW, the proper way to use dowels for bracing is to drill a hole the size of the dowel through both panels, smear glue on everything and tap the dowel through the holes with a mallet. After the glue dries you can trim the dowel off flush. Just putting glue on the end of the dowel and sticking it between the panels will fail nearly every time.

Builds:

If you drill holes to put the dowels through you won't need any screws or brads to hold them in place, they are usually very snug.

Builds:

Archived