Second Skin Audio

Need Help With Aero Port

Colby88

Alright well I'm trying for 40 hertz because they are Rockford fosgate t0s and he wants them tuned a little high. Also I can make the box bigger if I have too.

I'm getting that at 3 ft^3 net volume with two 6" Aero ports you could get a tuning of 40 - 41 Hz at 25" long. Using a slot port of the same area as two 6" aero ports (56.5) you could get a ~40 Hz tuning at 15" assuming a 3 common wall slot port (the port shares 3 of it's walls with the box itself).

Ok so a few things. First off, to what frequency are you wanting this box tuned to? And secondly, The unfortunate nature of aero ports is that they are inherently difficult to tune as low as a slot port without extending the port length externally. That is why you see a lot more competition guys using aero ports and not near as many ground pounders or daily drivers. Comp guys use aero ports because they have a higher efficiency, take up less volume, and they generally don't care if they have a big ugly tube sticking out of their box. Building an enclosure for every day use however you are much better off with a slot port.

Lets use your box for example. At 4.33 cubes, using 2 6" aero ports (roughly 50in^2), you would need over 60 inches of length to achieve 36hz, leaving you only 1.74ft^3 net. However, using a 3" by 16" slot port, you would only need half that length to achieve the same tuning, and you are left with 2.65ft^3. Now keep in mind that even with the slot port you are running the box on the small side for 2 12s. I would suggest making the box around 6 - 6.5 cubes before displacements.

(all calculations were done using a .4ft^3 subwoofer displacement)

I'm not sure exactly where you got that tuning from. I have that at 4.33 ft^3 with two 6" Aero ports at 60" long the tuning will be ~23Hz....even at 3ft^3 he would still be at ~28Hz. At 2 ft^3 he would be at ~34 Hz.

Sorry!!!! that was my fuck up. I had my torres settings from another build in there that i forgot to clear. port thickness 1.5", triple baffle, etc,etc. You're right tho, 2 6" aeros at 25" long is 40hz.

Ok so a few things. First off, to what frequency are you wanting this box tuned to? And secondly, The unfortunate nature of aero ports is that they are inherently difficult to tune as low as a slot port without extending the port length externally. That is why you see a lot more competition guys using aero ports and not near as many ground pounders or daily drivers. Comp guys use aero ports because they have a higher efficiency, take up less volume, and they generally don't care if they have a big ugly tube sticking out of their box. Building an enclosure for every day use however you are much better off with a slot port.

Lets use your box for example. At 4.33 cubes, using 2 6" aero ports (roughly 50in^2), you would need over 60 inches of length to achieve 36hz, leaving you only 1.74ft^3 net. However, using a 3" by 16" slot port, you would only need half that length to achieve the same tuning, and you are left with 2.65ft^3. Now keep in mind that even with the slot port you are running the box on the small side for 2 12s. I would suggest making the box around 6 - 6.5 cubes before displacements.

I'm not sure exactly where you got that tuning from. I have that at 4.33 ft^3 with two 6" Aero ports at 60" long the tuning will be ~23Hz....even at 3ft^3 he would still be at ~28Hz. At 2 ft^3 he would be at ~34 Hz.

Sorry!!!! that was my fuck up. I had my torres settings from another build in there that i forgot to clear. port thickness 1.5", triple baffle, etc,etc. You're right tho, 2 6" aeros at 25" long is 40hz.

It's all good.

So am i using the max dimensions or the ones i was using before? And if thats so make 25'' long for both of them correct?

So am i using the max dimensions or the ones i was using before? And if thats so make 25'' long for both of them correct?

Here is what I would like you to do. Figure out the dimensions you have to work with. From there figure how much air space you will have after displacement of the box walls and subwoofers. Post what air space you have after all that, what amount of power you would like to run and what tuning you would like. From there I can help you tune and get the right port area to help keep port noise down. Also, post the T/S parameters of the subs being used.

Here is what I would like you to do. Figure out the dimensions you have to work with. From there figure how much air space you will have after displacement of the box walls and subwoofers. Post what air space you have after all that, what amount of power you would like to run and what tuning you would like. From there I can help you tune and get the right port area to help keep port noise down. Also, post the T/S parameters of the subs being used.

alright and T/S parameters? meaning like the specs on it? or what lol

Yeah, so all of those specs that come with it. Should be a decent sized list of arbitrary looking numbers and specs but they play a massive role in how the driver will react to whatever box or tuning you put it at and pretty much everything else. My point with this is I can help you with the calculations but I want you to create the design. After you've created a design that is based on the calculations we come up with, make another thread on this forum and ask people to review it. They can tell you whether or not you're on the right track. It's all about learning. I'm trying to get you to do what I did and start by trying and possibly failing at making a design (maybe not completely but in some aspects) and having others who know what they're doing come and help fix the mistakes and help you learn so that next time, you can either do it on your own or at least get most of it done on your own. It's all about learning.

Yeah, so all of those specs that come with it. Should be a decent sized list of arbitrary looking numbers and specs but they play a massive role in how the driver will react to whatever box or tuning you put it at and pretty much everything else. My point with this is I can help you with the calculations but I want you to create the design. After you've created a design that is based on the calculations we come up with, make another thread on this forum and ask people to review it. They can tell you whether or not you're on the right track. It's all about learning. I'm trying to get you to do what I did and start by trying and possibly failing at making a design (maybe not completely but in some aspects) and having others who know what they're doing come and help fix the mistakes and help you learn so that next time, you can either do it on your own or at least get most of it done on your own. It's all about learning.

Alright well give me a min and ill get it all but lets not try and fail this as much because they guy gave me money to do this and he won't be happy if this box is messed up lol

Alright well give me a min and ill get it all but lets not try and fail this as much because they guy gave me money to do this and he won't be happy if this box is messed up lol

Lol ok I meant fail in design as in before you start making it. So, before you start cutting wood, make sure you have a solid design. Are you in a time crunch for this project?

Lol ok I meant fail in design as in before you start making it. So, before you start cutting wood, make sure you have a solid design. Are you in a time crunch for this project?

i mean not really i got a week or 2 wish

Archived