Second Skin Audio

Need Help With Aero Port

Colby88

Sorry, I assumed you already know what size port you wanted to use. It would probably be best just to use a simulation program. I know WinIsd is free and works well but can be a little tricky to learn at first. You will need to know what you want to be tuned at and go from there or play around with the tuning to see what works best for your situation and wants. Play around with the size of the port area and see what the velocity graph yields. Remember that the larger your port area is, the longer your port will need to be in order to achieve the same tuning and that a longer/larger port will take up more box volume thus changing the tuning.

Well i tried Winisd but i couldn't get it to open up for some reason. you think if i give you my specifications on the whole thing you could help me out? i would really appreciate it.

Sorry, I assumed you already know what size port you wanted to use. It would probably be best just to use a simulation program. I know WinIsd is free and works well but can be a little tricky to learn at first. You will need to know what you want to be tuned at and go from there or play around with the tuning to see what works best for your situation and wants. Play around with the size of the port area and see what the velocity graph yields. Remember that the larger your port area is, the longer your port will need to be in order to achieve the same tuning and that a longer/larger port will take up more box volume thus changing the tuning.

Well i tried Winisd but i couldn't get it to open up for some reason. you think if i give you my specifications on the whole thing you could help me out? i would really appreciate it.

I can after get home after meeting tonight.

I can after get home after meeting tonight.

alright man i appreciate it.

Ok so a few things. First off, to what frequency are you wanting this box tuned to? And secondly, The unfortunate nature of aero ports is that they are inherently difficult to tune as low as a slot port without extending the port length externally. That is why you see a lot more competition guys using aero ports and not near as many ground pounders or daily drivers. Comp guys use aero ports because they have a higher efficiency, take up less volume, and they generally don't care if they have a big ugly tube sticking out of their box. Building an enclosure for every day use however you are much better off with a slot port.

Lets use your box for example. At 4.33 cubes, using 2 6" aero ports (roughly 50in^2), you would need over 60 inches of length to achieve 36hz, leaving you only 1.74ft^3 net. However, using a 3" by 16" slot port, you would only need half that length to achieve the same tuning, and you are left with 2.65ft^3. Now keep in mind that even with the slot port you are running the box on the small side for 2 12s. I would suggest making the box around 6 - 6.5 cubes before displacements.

(all calculations were done using a .4ft^3 subwoofer displacement)

Ok well I'd be willing to design an enclosure if you could get me the max dimentions. And because it's going in an SUV i would suggest subs up, port back.

well see i don't really have the max because it isn't like with me but i can try and figure it out. i would say that it would be 35''w 16''h 23'' d

also the box he has in there now has subs on front and 2 4in pvc on top.

Ok so a few things. First off, to what frequency are you wanting this box tuned to? And secondly, The unfortunate nature of aero ports is that they are inherently difficult to tune as low as a slot port without extending the port length externally. That is why you see a lot more competition guys using aero ports and not near as many ground pounders or daily drivers. Comp guys use aero ports because they have a higher efficiency, take up less volume, and they generally don't care if they have a big ugly tube sticking out of their box. Building an enclosure for every day use however you are much better off with a slot port.

Lets use your box for example. At 4.33 cubes, using 2 6" aero ports (roughly 50in^2), you would need over 60 inches of length to achieve 36hz, leaving you only 1.74ft^3 net. However, using a 3" by 16" slot port, you would only need half that length to achieve the same tuning, and you are left with 2.65ft^3. Now keep in mind that even with the slot port you are running the box on the small side for 2 12s. I would suggest making the box around 6 - 6.5 cubes before displacements.

(all calculations were done using a .4ft^3 subwoofer displacement)

I'm not sure exactly where you got that tuning from. I have that at 4.33 ft^3 with two 6" Aero ports at 60" long the tuning will be ~23Hz....even at 3ft^3 he would still be at ~28Hz. At 2 ft^3 he would be at ~34 Hz.

Archived