Sonic Electronix

Router for sub box building?

So, I'm going to be building the box that the wonderful Joe X so awesomely designed for me. I'm gonna be buying the tools I need to get the job done and right now I am looking at routers. I've never used a router before so I'm pretty ignorant on it. What router would be best? Is there anything in a router I should look for specifically? Thanks in advance for the help!

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DW618PK-12-AMP-Fixed-Base-Variable-Speed/dp/B00006JKXE/ref=sr_1_2?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1473945849&sr=1-2&keywords=dewalt+router

just look at the main brands. I know a lot of people on here have porter cable routers, I have a Dewalt, some have ryobis. I think the Porter cable will probably be the most popular, with maybe the DeWalt in second.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

I burnt up my Dewalt router, twice. At this point Dewalt tools in general are on my "no buy" list.

Everything I get now is either Bosch or Makita, I have two of these routers and they are great:

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-1617EVSPK-4-Horsepower-Variable-Collets/dp/B00005RHPD/ref=sr_1_1?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1473949988&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+router

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I love my DeWalt, but Triticum uses routers a lot more than I do. As far as bits go, you can go to mobile solutions, sonus, etc. Since I don't often build boxes I use whiteside router bits, I was recommended them by another member here, and so far they have worked well.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

That was another router I was looking at too, Triticum. I wondered which of the two would be better. There's only a $20 difference. But as far as bits, do I need a straight bit or a cone shaped bit or what?

As far as routers go, I have the Dewalt router that Jhunt linked and I liked it too until.....it failed on me, twice. You can get parts, but they are expensive (that $200 router is made up of about $450 in parts, ridiculous). The second time it failed I wasn't able to fix it and now it sits on a shelf to remind me not to buy Dewalt tools.

When that router failed I got th Bosch, it's never let me down and it's nicer to use. It's easier to switch bases, the depth adjustment is better on it, and the plunge lock is easier to use. It's a better tool IMHO.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Perfect! Good tip. Seems like I'll be buying the Bosch for sure then. No brainer. As far as everything else goes (attachments, bits, etc.), is there anything more I need to buy with it?

When it comes to router bits I break them into three groups, high quality bits that are expensive, cheap bits that are decent, and cheap bits that are junk. Obviously we want to avoid the junk bits, these are what you usually get in bit sets that are like $50 for 10 bits, most of which you will never use anyway.

Depending on how much you use your router, cheap bits that are decent are all you may ever need. The advantage of the more expensive bits is they cut a little better and last a lot longer, but if you aren't going to use them enough to wear them out, it doesn't really matter. Save some money on cheaper bits.

Inexpensive brands that are decent are Magnate and MLCS. I've used both and they are what I go to for my less frequently used bits.

For high quality bits I agree with Jhunt, Whiteside is the brand to get. They are worth the cost for high use bits, IMHO.

All three of those brands are on Amazon.

As far as what bits to get the three I use the most are a 1/4" upcut spiral (for use with a circle jig), a 1/2" flush trim bit, and. 3/8" round over. If these were the only bits you had you could still do 95% of everything you could want to do with a router building boxes.

Builds:

Awesome. Thanks so much! That's a crap load of good information. Very helpful. I'll probably just snatch those three bits then. Unless I decide that I did a wonderful job and want to start doing it more often (which is possible). But for now, this is still kind of my first real try at doing this, and doing it the right way.

Archived