Knocker Posted September 16, 2016 Report Posted September 16, 2016 What kind of glue is recommended to reseal one edge of the carbon fiber dustcap to the cone of my Mayhem 18?
Knocker Posted September 16, 2016 Author Report Posted September 16, 2016 The sub works fine but has developed an annoying buzz (not electrical). Don't think it's the amp. I hooked it up to another amp to make sure. Only running sine waves through it so far at low power (300 watts). Don't think the voice coil is rubbing. Doesn't make any sound when I push on the cone. Spider and tinsel leads seems fine. Sound is coming from center of cone whether in or out of enclosure. Even when I hold the driver in mid air it buzzes. The buzzing is at same frequencies that are being played even at the lowest volume. At higher (1 inch total) excursion in the enclosure it turns into a kind of rough whistling sound. The shiny bead of glue around the cap disappears for about an inch and looks rough leading me to think it came unglued at that spot. I've read many different opinions ranging from rubberized CA glue to rubber cement to 2 part epoxy. Curious what you guys think for carbon fiber.
hispls Posted September 16, 2016 Report Posted September 16, 2016 You should try to GENTLY pry that cap off with an exacto knife first to confirm it's that and not something else inside/under it. Spider coming loose, broken triple joint, or cracked former can give you the same symptoms. Once the cap is off the noise will disappear if it was a loose cap, otherwise best to find the culprit before re-glueing. I've had best luck with Amazing Goop for holding dustcaps (I've used it with carbon fiber, aluminum, and plastic caps) After about 20 minutes set time any excess that oozes out where you can see it can be picked off with your fingernail to clean things up. There's a certain big blue van in this area that does high 160s and those guys use goop for everything building those subs so I'd say it's proven.
Knocker Posted September 16, 2016 Author Report Posted September 16, 2016 You should try to GENTLY pry that cap off with an exacto knife first to confirm it's that and not something else inside/under it. Spider coming loose, broken triple joint, or cracked former can give you the same symptoms. Once the cap is off the noise will disappear if it was a loose cap, otherwise best to find the culprit before re-glueing. I've had best luck with Amazing Goop for holding dustcaps (I've used it with carbon fiber, aluminum, and plastic caps) After about 20 minutes set time any excess that oozes out where you can see it can be picked off with your fingernail to clean things up. There's a certain big blue van in this area that does high 160s and those guys use goop for everything building those subs so I'd say it's proven. Ok thanks. I will check out the Goop.
RainStryke Posted September 16, 2016 Report Posted September 16, 2016 CA Glue is what I would look into. I used Digital Designs/SoundQubed's WunderGu on the last few rebuilds and that stuff works great.
Knocker Posted September 16, 2016 Author Report Posted September 16, 2016 CA Glue is what I would look into. I used Digital Designs/SoundQubed's WunderGu on the last few rebuilds and that stuff works great. Could I just run a bead of CA glue around the edge of the dustcap (assuming that's the problem) or do I have to remove it first like hispls recommended?
RainStryke Posted September 16, 2016 Report Posted September 16, 2016 Yes, you could do that. You only need to remove the whole thing if you think there is a chance it could be any of the other things he mentioned.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.