Second Skin Audio

port placement for dual sub setup

Jhensley209

Interesting to see that the location of the port has a real affect on the output. It seems that, at least in this case, having the port further away from the driver gives you a flatter response.

Interesting to see that the location of the port has a real affect on the output. It seems that, at least in this case, having the port further away from the driver gives you a flatter response.

In this case, due to the microphone's or Listener's location yes it does. However, if you reverse the location you're listening at the latter design in both examples now has the less flat response, however neither are as flat as shown above.

b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png

Krakin's Home Dipole Project

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

Krakin, are you some sort of mad scientist?

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

What you hear is not the air pressure variation in itself

but what has drawn your attention

in the two streams of superimposed air pressure variations at your eardrums

An acoustic event has dimensions of Time, Tone, Loudness and Space

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

thus no formula can achieve a definite effect for every listener.

Thanks for that Krakin. That's the kind of response I was looking for. In depth enough for me to get an insight into but not complicated enough for me to really have to stop and think about it.

Remember though that the response is largely due to the location of the mic as well, if I was measuring the response from the bottom of the box the second system in both examples has the louder response. Then if you increase the distance away from the box the systems start to get closer responses to each other.

But in the cabin of a car you can't get too far away from the system due to obvious space restrictions so would it have more of an impact on car audio rather than home audio where the system can be much frather from the listener.

So if you look at the examples I showed, there is a little icon labeled as "commic".

14492624_1292394347437429_15545332886074

This is the location at which the microphone is to pick up a response, which is equivalent to if your head was right there listening to the enclosure.

By invert I mean, instead of having the microphone above the box on the y-axis, it is below the box I.E. closer to the bottom port and farther away from the speakers.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/186153-krakins-dipole-project-new-reciever-in-rockford-science/#entry2772370

I would have replied earlier, but I was measuring the output of my amp with a yardstick . . .

Everyone learns to render the 3-dimensional localization of sound based on the individual shape of their ears,

As shown in this picture.

14492334_1292406740769523_75840061975204

This is a good sight on more technical sides of box shape design and response.

https://trueaudio.com/st_diff1.htm

Since you did not account for acoustics in your models cant it be said that once they are added the graphs could change?

There are not many trunks where you are going to get 2-12's and a port that are going to more than a few inches apart due to space limitations. And unless the guy is going to be competing i would stand by my original statement that subs and port on same plane work the best unless he wants to build several boxes and test. most people do not have the time or money to spend on buying/building several boxes to gain 3 db, unless they are competing.

also cancellation comes into play when placing a box in the trunk. if you are going to face subs forward and seal off the trunk then it becomes moot but...

http://www.installer.com/tech/index.php?page=aiming

Since you did not account for acoustics in your models cant it be said that once they are added the graphs could change?

There are not many trunks where you are going to get 2-12's and a port that are going to more than a few inches apart due to space limitations. And unless the guy is going to be competing i would stand by my original statement that subs and port on same plane work the best unless he wants to build several boxes and test. most people do not have the time or money to spend on buying/building several boxes to gain 3 db, unless they are competing.

also cancellation comes into play when placing a box in the trunk. if you are going to face subs forward and seal off the trunk then it becomes moot but...

http://www.installer.com/tech/index.php?page=aiming

Yes they will drastically change. I just can't model it because I have no idea what his acoustics are like, I also don't know too much about the program I was using to get a really good acoustic model.

Archived