Second Skin Audio

Mayhem making buzzing noise.

Knocker

Try pushing the driver yourself (carefully of course) and see if you can reproduce the noise and try to find it. Sounds like something got dislodged. Sounds almost like vibrating. Have you checked the back plate and magnet to make sure nothing is loose?

Try pushing the driver yourself (carefully of course) and see if you can reproduce the noise and try to find it. Sounds like something got dislodged. Sounds almost like vibrating. Have you checked the back plate and magnet to make sure nothing is loose?

Pushed on the driver. Can't hear anything. Unplugged and replugged speaker wire. No change. Ran 20 hz to it up till the limiter then backed it off. Sounds like a sewing machine. Felt all around the magnets and back plate while playing and doesn't feel loose. Definitely sounds like something is vibrating that shouldn't be.

Try tipping the sub over on its side and seeing if it still makes the noise.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Try tipping the sub over on its side and seeing if it still makes the noise.

Ok. Tipped it over on its side and rolled it 360 degrees while playing test tone. No change. Picked it up and held it upside down while playing test tone. No change. Curious as to something. When I was using Dust Off to remove some sawdust, some frozen liquid shot out onto the dust cap. Could that have loosened the carbon fiber weave by shocking it? Also, I played it a bit without being tightly bolted into the enclosue, could it have wobbled and thrown the coil out of alignment? I'm baffled.

I'm about ready to cut off the dust cap but if it's not the problem I hate to start cutting apart a new speaker.

Edit: It's also possible that it's been making the noise from the start and I just didn't notice it at first because it was in the enclosure.

Archived