Second Skin Audio

Aero Port tuning question

ModestDb

Hey guys, I have a question about tuning aero ports. I'd like to know what my current setup is actually tuned for and then explore making changes.

The current details:

2 American Bass VFL 8" D4 subs

Box is 14" tall, 28" long, 11.25 inches deep (rectangular shape with no second depth measurements needed)

Wood thickness is .75 MDF

Speaker displacement is I THINK.....73ft3 each according the one website that had the info.

Port Diameter is 2"

Number of ports is 2

Port length is 7.5 inches (if I measure the overall length including flared ends).

Port location is on the front of the box (same surface as the subs and I'll upload pictures soon)

Given the above information, what should this box's tune be currently? I tried to crunch the numbers using BCAE1 but the calculations go crazy.

Example...if I input 36hz for the tune, the port length says it should be 8.178 long but if I try entering the tune 35hz or 37hz for example...it says my port length needs to change to 25.653" long. What gives?

Further more...if I wanted to change my port length to tune more toward a raise in SPL, I would shorten the ports correct? Both ports by the same amount I would surmise. I ordered two precision port kits with flared ends...it's exactly what's already in the box except this one is a 5 piece kit that can be cut to change port length/tune. Should I just experiment with various lengths and find what sounds loudest, instead of looking for a calculated number?

4 American Bass VFL 8" at 0.5 ohm

Soundstream Tarantula 3000.1D at 0.5 ohm

32 hz ported box designed by Mark at Car Audio Fabrications

XS D1200 secondary with Stinger isolator

im showing you about 38hz

you can just play test tones at moderate volume, start at about 45 and work your way down, watch the sub, when the cone moves the least amount, that is your tuning.

Okay I'll do this soon to help me discover my current tune.

What about what I should do next? Currently my 8s sound amazing on music. I'd like to try a new tune though, so I can hit the hardest possible note. Even if it's not as musical, I'm okay with that because I could switch ports back and forth.

I'd do what strangeduck suggests to find your current tuning frequency.

How much power are you running to these? Your port area is pretty low, depending on how much power you are running you may gain output from larger ports.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'd do what strangeduck suggests to find your current tuning frequency.

How much power are you running to these? Your port area is pretty low, depending on how much power you are running you may gain output from larger ports.

currently they're being fed 500 rms each. I'd prefer to keep the port size the same if possible. I'm trying to get a little gain in loudness from a small change if possible just because it's easy and cheap to do. Maybe later on if I'm not satisfied with the gain, I'll consider modifying this box or having another one built.

If you want to hit the hardest not possible in that vehicle I would find the resonate frequency of your cabin and make a box that peaks at that.

Good point. I will get on this after work and find out what mine is.

Edited to add: I severely underestimated the amount of work this involves. This may take some time. Haha.

tuning higher will just make you play louder at that frequency. If that happens to match your resonate then you could stand to gain a lot. But tuning too high will just make you lose all your low end. Its all about trade offs man.

Archived