Second Skin Audio

4 alpine typre r 12's and 2 sa 15's

RooTxBeeR

This is not a vs thread, but since it seems like it, the traffic to answer my questions will come lmao.

I just blew a sub leaving me sub stageless. Looking at running 4 12" typre R 12's, or 2 sundown sa-15's. I want to do the 4 12's for obvious cone area and power handling reasons, and to achieve both would cost me around the same amount of money to set up both. Just need to see if it is possible to fit in my car first. So looking to design 2 boxes here. First being, 4 12" type R's on a T1000bd to start but a 4k later on. So what amount of port area would be needed for 4 type R 12's on 4k power? I am going to be aiming for a box size of around 5.5-6cuft net and 32hz tuning. Then lastly, hopefully the 12's fit and if not, putting a design together for 2 sa 15's on the same t1000bd to start and around 1800-2000 later on if I go that route. Same deal, how much port area with that power. That box I would be looking to run with 7.25-8cuft with a 32hz tuning.

Edit: I keep seeing a lot saying the Alpine manu specs are way off and those like 2-2.5cuft boxes with a lot more than the states 12.5cuft of port area. True?

On 11/20/2012 at 8:54 PM, AMI CUSTOMS said:

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

On 5/9/2012 at 8:45 PM, skittlesRgood said:

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

On 4/10/2013 at 12:26 PM, mrd6 said:

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • US Alternator 280A Hairpin
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • 1/0 SHCA & XS Power 4 runs to back
  • TORK2 kit from Tony @ CE Auto Supply
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Bump yoo. I feel like I can trust the sundown pre done designs but for the alpine one I see to much saying the specs they give aren't right.

Turned mine up today at a light, guy next to me his steering wheel started moving and he looked over at me like I was a magician lol.

fuck the plating. look at what the main metal used is. you could buy unicorn blood plated terminals but if its just covering up dog shit, whats the point

I'll admit, half way through sanding that fiberglass in the rain and cold while I was all itchy I was definitely starting to question why i was doing this haha

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

I can take a look at it later today and give you my opinion.

Alpine's box recommendations are no bueno.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I can take a look at it later today and give you my opinion.

Alpine's box recommendations are no bueno.

I would greatly appreciate that.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Here is what I came up with:

kgcro8X.png

Green line = 4 Type R 12"s in 6 cu ft tuned to 32 Hz on 4,000 watts

Oragne line = 2 SA-15s in 8 cu ft tuned to 32 Hz on 2,000 watts

The Type-Rs have an estimated 3 dB more output, not surprisingly. They roll off on the low end a big sooner though compared to the SA-15s. A little lower tuning would help extend down that low frequency roll off a bit, at the cost of a little bit of peak output in the 40 Hz range.

87ju5Ff.png

This is the port velocity of both subs. The Type-Rs are using 110 sq in of port area, and the SA-15's are using 100 sq in. Due to the greater port area and smaller net volume the port for the Type-Rs will have to be significantly longer, just something to consider when it comes to box layout.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Awesome. I need to learn those programs lol, getting tired of asking like this. I'm going to look some more into the Alpine's. Looked up a few random designs and and not a single one under 7cuft for 4. Thanks you very much dude.

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm
  • (2) 15" Sundown Zv5

Bump. Anyone got some knowledge on that alpine deal? What size boxes and how much port area do they need if the manufacturer's specs aren't right?

• Soon To Be
  • '04 Ford Escape
  • D4800 Under the Hood
  • (6) XP3000's in Rear
  • Pioneer DEH-80PRS
  • DD AW6.5 (2) per door
  • *Tweeter Unkown*
  • DD SS4a & C3d
  • (2) SCV4000 @ .5Ohm