94 Suzuki Sidekick JLX (Daughters first vehicle, AGM & big 3 done)

Are you going to be able to place all the speakers in the stock location without modification? Cant wait for you to get this build finished.

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

14 minutes ago, oldsoundguy said:

Are you going to be able to place all the speakers in the stock location without modification? Cant wait for you to get this build finished.

I would love to put some shit in the doors, but i just dont know until i have the panel in hand and apart to see whats all behind the doors. I thought about stock in front but Randal say it hard to get the imaging right because the dash location is low and the sound doesn't come from high on the dash. I will just have to play with everything and see what shakes out. 

Getting excited too. Just to see how it will play out and sound.

36 minutes ago, bcbrassard said:

I would love to put some shit in the doors, but i just dont know until i have the panel in hand and apart to see whats all behind the doors. I thought about stock in front but Randal say it hard to get the imaging right because the dash location is low and the sound doesn't come from high on the dash. I will just have to play with everything and see what shakes out. 

Getting excited too. Just to see how it will play out and sound.

I have a feeling this could turn into a long term build. LOL  Just another test vehicle for you?  So what happens if it sounds better than the Malibu? Then the Sidekick sounds better than the lancer? Then the lancer sounds better than the Malibu. See where I am going? LOL 

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

1 minute ago, oldsoundguy said:

I have a feeling this could turn into a long term build. LOL  Just another test vehicle for you?  So what happens if it sounds better than the Malibu? Then the Sidekick sounds better than the lancer? Then the lancer sounds better than the Malibu. See where I am going? LOL 

Well i know the SideKick will turn out good but not as good as the Malibu and none will be louder than the Lancer. They are all test Vehicle because each one has a different set up and acoustics. What i struggle with is patients to tune. Thats why the garage time & Bench testing has been so valuable. Understanding the drivers, crossover points, ect. No matter what its always fun and a learning experience.

Well... the SideKick is in the garage and mostly torn apart. Speaker placement is going to be a Bitch!!!!! Everything is tight tight tight. I have it until Tuesday afternoon so that should be enough time to get it done but there will be late nights....

Pics in the am, wife still doesn't know so i am keeping on the down low! lol

Stay tuned!!!! 

Its hard to believe that your wife doesn't know what you are doing. lol My wife may act like she doesn't know but I know she knows. She knows everything but chooses to let me know what she knows only when she wants me to know.  Wow that's like some kind of poem...lol lol

Cant wait for pics and updates. Oh and a vid

80prs

Incriminator IA 10.1

DC 180 alt

I started tear down of SideKick around 3 pm yesterday. Everything was going good until i started removing dash bezel to remove old HU when i found that the previous owner had super glued on of the heater control knobs on. Fan speed control, so i used my pick to try to free it up. Even used heat on the pick to burn thru glue or plastic to loosen it up. Got impatient and started pulling on it with pliers and pulled the switch out of the house. Ok basically broke that shit. Not sure if i can put it back together, i am sure an order will be happen within the hour and i will have jury rig it to work until a new one shows up. Other than that pretty smooth tear down.

IMG_2717_zpsppnxycgt.jpg

This is where i will be mounting the amps. Space is tight in this stupid thing so this is my best option since the sub stage is temp and there wont be a box to mount to down the road. I build 3/4 "spacers for them to get them off the floor to help protect them and wire management. This is also a good look at dash and front speaker locations. I dont care for the dash or door configuration, making me scratch my head on this one.

IMG_2718_zpsbi624vvw.jpg  

After breaking the switch i need to stay away from the dash for the night so i worked on the rear stage for the rest of the night. The stock speakers where all Clarion, front where 3.5" and rears 4", so the RF P142's fit nicely in the stock location. Panels removed with no issues, removed seat belt mechanism to deaden area. These rear speakers will be run off HU power for rear fill, For now. I have and idea i will share later for this location. Cleaned up metal to start installing Stinger Roadkill deadening.

IMG_2719_zpsxqldevnk.jpg

IMG_2721_zpsddywb0xg.jpg

I have about 95% coverage in this area. I used Tesa tape to clean up factory wiring, acoustic foam around harness in a few spots to help keep it from rattling.

IMG_2722_zpsognngwxg.jpg

I saved the factory door deadening from the Malibu for future use and it fit this spot really well. I used Velcro to keep it in place, if it was good enough for GM in a 2012 Malibu it should work well here. Out of acoustic foam and on a budget used what i had on hand. Notice i deadened over that opening and the acoustic panel is behind it. Filled that space perfectly IMO. And of course one for the other side, this was just to show you size and location. 

IMG_2723_zpsbvpnwfhx.jpg

So hear i deadened the front to add mass, and to help keep panel from rattling. It goes under the upper panel to reduce rattles from those panels as well. Over kill...Ya but the shit is addictive, once you start laying it one it's like fuck it....cover it all. That and i and getting pretty good at installing it, shit just takes time and Blood. I always fuck my hands and arms up installing it. Thats why once i start i like to finish deadening everything so i can start healing. lol

IMG_2724_zpsc0nrzlz5.jpg

P142 installed. Funky way GM designed the factory rear speakers. I thought of enclosing it but really how much time should i dedicate to rear fill speakers? I sure most will say i did to much but i have a hard time half assing it, but i did want the deadening solid and here's why. I took the rear cargo door panel off to see what kind of room there was and what might be in the way since i was toying with the idea of putting subs in the door. Thats a NO go, more pain in the ass than it would be worth. So once i figured out that idea was a wash and while deadening and working with this space i thought if i where to seal this area up i could fiberglass some 8" subs in these locations and call it a day down the road. Remember to 2 P2 12 sub where always going to be temp, she needs her cargo room. I dont think it would take a lot of effort and i could pull the panels down the road to work on and not affect her system until i swapped it out. 8" is the largest i can go and still look good in the space. Keep them running of the R1000.1D @ 4 ohm for 500 watts total.

IMG_2725_zpsnz6nqqvx.jpg

IMG_2726_zpsmwxo239q.jpg

IMG_2727_zpsqkiclggz.jpg

Panel put back on, right side done.

IMG_2728_zpsoiaffypk.jpg

Left side done the exact same, had fuel door to deal with but other than that same same. I finished around 3 am so this was probably 6+ hrs of work but the rear is done. 

IMG_2729_zpspv6ewwnq.jpg

Happy with how it turned out, i think between breaking fans speed switch and scratching my head about the front stage i was forced to finish the rear first. Not like me to do the easy shit first but sometimes you need time to think about the problem while doing mindless shit.

Looks like the CT Sounds 5.25" will fit in the Kick Panels so that much i have figured out but the 4" are most likely going in factory location and here is why. The only place there is room on the doors is the exact height as the dash location so other than speaker all facing the same direction what would i gain for all the work that would go into putting them into the door. Now i am not sure how it will sound with dash speakers facing driver and passenger position while the 5.25's in the kick panels pace each other, considering is mid-bass i hope it doesn't sound like ass. anyway next issue is if i go with the Faital Pro drivers and CT tweeters i am have a really tough time find a good location for the tweeters. I want them up on the dash to help bring the sound stage up there and even with pod and flush mounting kits having a tough time deciding what to do there. My fall back plan is the JBLs in the dash and call it. It is a budget build in a vehicle worth a couple grand so i dont want to get to carried away. Its always about time management. So ya Randal wasn;t kidding about the difficulty of these kind of dashes for imaging. (Not that i doubted him for a second) but you just dont know until you dive in. Either way i go in the dash i can deaden and acoustic treat the area's to get the best performance out of those locations.

After 4 hr of sleep need to get back at, clocks ticking!  Oh and any ideas are always appreciated, possible i over looked something or to close to the problem and can't see it. Everyone see's shit differently, just glad it's in the garage and i am working on it instead of shopping for and talking about it. As i am sure you who follow feel the same, Yack Yack Yack!!! lol 

18 hours ago, oldsoundguy said:

Its hard to believe that your wife doesn't know what you are doing. lol My wife may act like she doesn't know but I know she knows. She knows everything but chooses to let me know what she knows only when she wants me to know.  Wow that's like some kind of poem...lol lol

Cant wait for pics and updates. Oh and a vid

8ac0b76645a7671a39788f47ecdd30e2.jpg

2000 Toyota Solara SEV6, 200 amp alternator, Jensen VX7020, Hifonics American Warrior Taurus X, Hifonics American Warrior Centurion X, JBL Club 6500C, Power Acoustik XP2K-4102, Coustic Power Logic HT-612 in a BP4.

1 hour ago, BP1Fanatic said:

8ac0b76645a7671a39788f47ecdd30e2.jpg

Ok that's a bit to deep for my liking. I already admitted she probably knows, but that doesn't mean we have to talk about it!

Anyway, i was able to remove the heater blower switch, find all the pieces and put it back together. Just need the super glue to hold! But i do feel better about it since Ebay was wanting 60-75 dollars for the controls. And before people say go to a junk yard, there are next to no older vehicles up here, junk yards only carry vehicles that will make them $ all others get crushed and sent away. I would say 15 yr old cars max is what they carry.

Gonna be another long night, kick panels are  close, haven't done anything to stock 4" location, wiring under dash is a mess, so i am trying to do all the loud activities during the day so i can stay up late to do the quieter stuff. I can see she won't be done by tomorrow afternoon, the daughter will have to give me an extra day. 

Archived