Second Skin Audio

reconing

frogcase2002

Has anyone had alot of coil stuck down in the motor gap before? . . Have a customer that im doing a recone for and almost all of the coil is way down in the gap. . . Just seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get it out . Iv got a little out but just coming out in little pieces . .

Its an american bass hd by the way

Clarion cz702

Ssa evil mids and tweeters

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

155.7 on dash at 36 (peak) 152 at 25

Has anyone had alot of coil stuck down in the motor gap before? . . Have a customer that im doing a recone for and almost all of the coil is way down in the gap. . . Just seeing if anyone has any advice on how to get it out . Iv got a little out but just coming out in little pieces . .

Double sided tape and a popsicle stick.

If that doesn't work, you can try getting something thinner.

Heat the magnet with a hair dryer, the coil's resin has probably melted off and gotten itself stuck to the walls of the magnet.

Tell me if this helps you.

Double sided tape and a popsicle stick.

If that doesn't work, you can try getting something thinner.

Heat the magnet with a hair dryer, the coil's resin has probably melted off and gotten itself stuck to the walls of the magnet.

Tell me if this helps you.

Ill try it out . . But it like its all bunched up down inside . . Iv tryed some skinny needle noes pliers and it just brakes the wires and comes out in tiny pieces

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I dont even understand how it happen . . The subs were supposed to be refurbished by american bass and this happened within like 5 mins of playing . Wasnt clipping and didnt get a bit warm. . . Just popped and I looked and there was no coil left on the former . . Cut open the sub and pulled the cone and shit out and like half the former is all chewed up looking and all the coil wire is down in the gap of the motor

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I dont even understand how it happen . . The subs were supposed to be refurbished by american bass and this happened within like 5 mins of playing . Wasnt clipping and didnt get a bit warm. . . Just popped and I looked and there was no coil left on the former . . Cut open the sub and pulled the cone and shit out and like half the former is all chewed up looking and all the coil wire is down in the gap of the motor

3 words.

Break. In. Period.

If they played like this and were refurbished and died, why didn't you just send the subs back to AB?

3 words.

Break. In. Period.

If they played like this and were refurbished and died, why didn't you just send the subs back to AB?

Yeah the little needle isn't gonna do it, again try heating it with a hair dryer. Anything you pull at the coil with that's gonna exert a lot of force on a small area of thin wire is literally asking for shit like that to happen.

You have to try and get a large part of it out at once. Can you send some pictures?

I dont even understand how it happen . . The subs were supposed to be refurbished by american bass and this happened within like 5 mins of play. Wasnt clipping and didnt get a bit warm. . . Just popped and I looked and there was no coil left on the former . . Cut open the sub and pulled the cone and shit out and like half the former is all chewed up looking and all the coil wire is down in the gap of the motor

3 words.

Break. In. Period.

Yeah the little needle isn't gonna do it, again try heating it with a hair dryer. Anything you pull at the coil with that's gonna exert a lot of force on a small area of thin wire is literally asking for shit like that to happen.

You have to try and get a large part of it out at once. Can you send some pictures?

Iv never had to have a "brake in period" . Shit will get louder with time sure but never had problems playing a brand new sub . . . The customer bought them from someone that said they were just rebuild from american bass so who knows if its true. . Ill forsure try heating it up . . And ill see if i can gets some pictures tomorrow when I go to the shop

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

I dont even understand how it happen . . The subs were supposed to be refurbished by american bass and this happened within like 5 mins of play. Wasnt clipping and didnt get a bit warm. . . Just popped and I looked and there was no coil left on the former . . Cut open the sub and pulled the cone and shit out and like half the former is all chewed up looking and all the coil wire is down in the gap of the motor

3 words.

Break. In. Period.

Iv never had to have a "brake in period" . Shit will get louder with time sure but never had problems playing a brand new sub . . . The customer bought them from someone that said they were just rebuild from american bass so who knows if its true. . Ill forsure try heating it up . . And ill see if i can gets some pictures tomorrow when I go to the shop

The break in period allows the spiders and coil to get warm, move around, and just settle into place. This isn't anywhere near being loud, this is for the good of the woofer.

If you just blast them straight out the gate, they're not gonna last as long and potentially do crazy shit like this.

LOL I heard it all now..

Sorry to say it but when woofers are built with Epoxy and CA glue, there is no such thing as allowing them to set into place.. With in minutes to a few hours of them being glued they are set in place, and by the time that you have the woofer shipped to you from retailer/manufacture those glue joints are well beyond set.
All the break in really does is allows the spiders to loosen, so the cone assembly can move farther with less power essentially.

2 words: Chinese coils. This is why a lot of manufactures are moving away from them, they are not up to par in terms of quality ore reliability in the majority of higher wattage woofers. Of coarse some build houses are going to be better than others, but at the end day the American made coils will always outlast the China coil. Case and Point, the Sundown ZV4 use to be a China coil people had a few issues with them, now all their woofers except the SA and E line are American coils, which wasn't the case a few years ago.

Im sorry but a air dryer is 99.9% not going to have the ability to heat up any coating to the point that it will loosen something from being stuck.
The enamel that is used to insulate voice coil wires is rather high temp 150+ degrees Celsius, and some brands even 300+ degrees.
I dont know about you, but I never seen a hair dryer that can do 300-600+ degrees Fahrenheit, maybe a heat gun but not a hair dryer

Now when you start talking that kind of heat you have to worry about ruining the adhesives that are bonding the ferrite slugs, top plate, and bottom plates together.

Typically the windings of broken coils are not stuck by means of glue melting and reattaching, but rather from being slammed into the gap, they are no longer circular and smashed in which ever direction.
Your best bet are long little pics like Snap-on/BluePoint offers. With in a matter of minutes you will have it out. Ive fished plenty of coil out the gap already in the past and the picks always worked.

Sometimes if you have a long thin fillet knife you can go around the pole piece trying to wiggle the windings loose too and may help with the picks.

Just try to get 1 pick under 1 side, and another around the other side and start wiggling and pulling.

Dont be afraid to break the windings sometimes you need to do that so they fit through the gap anyways, but every little bit you remove makes the rest that much easier to get out to the point where you can grab a end and just start unavailing it out of the gap.

PSLR4LT.jpg

Yea thats what im saying about "break In period" . Iv played many subs full tilt the day after reconing. .

Ill try to use some kind of pick to get it out . . Just hope this shit dont happen again after I recone it . . Never seen a sub mess up so quick without even getting warm or anything. . Kinda makes me think something was already wrong with it

Clarion cz702

ppi 900.4

2 zcon 18s

Taramps 10k

3 big dekas 1 xs

3 runs of 4/0 and big 3

300+ amp ohio generator

Archived