Old Noob with DEH-80PRS questions

I am admittedly an old guy (47) and am trying to get with the times as far as a stereo system for my pro touring 70 Chevelle build. I have started acquiring some of the equipment. I currently have the items listed below and need some pro advice on whats right/wrong or indifferent. I am looking for SQ not SPL if that helps, I listen to mainly 70 rock and modern country (what a combo huh). Anyway, I am seriously thinking about going with a Pioneer DEH-80PRS but want to make sure that either the stuff I have will work with it or if I need to step back and change out a few things now before I get too far ahead. I am not looking for a competition setup, just a good cruiser quality system that i won't be ashamed of.

Ok, here is what I have now, it is setup old school front/rear/sub which is fine but is it what i really want since my pro touring car is all about making the old more modern? What are the Pro's/Con's of running standard versus network (active) mode. I understand how they work differently, so I guess my question is, for an old guy with what I am looking for, is active necessary?

Pioneer AVH-P4100DVD (Swapping out for a DEH-80PRS)

RF R300x4

RF R500X1D

RF P165 (in kick panels) No option to put them in the doors

RF R2D2-10 (@4ohm) .60sq sealed enclosure mounted in rear deck (I know this isn't ideal but I like the look and it sounds fine to me like this)

RF P1692 (in rear deck)

Thank in advance

Thanks for the quick reply, just so i understand you correctly.. I can use the 4 channel to run the highs and mids but basically get rid of the 6x9's in the process? Or are you saying i need 2 4 channels.. 1 for tweeters and 1 for mids? My basic understanding is that i won't need/use the 6x9 at all in active mode, am I correct?

yes, 4 channel for front active no 6x9's. or not active and use passive crossovers like you already are. if you go active your 6x9's will be passband at wont have any highs

ok, that's what I thought. So, if I keep the components I currently have and stay passive, am i wasting my $$ on the 80PRS? For what I have read its active mode with the right components is where it really shines. Or, will it still be much better than my current HU even in a passive setup?

since you can high pass on your amp already it may not be worth it. Going active isnt for everyone as it adds layers of complexity but the benefits are worth it if you spend the time to time align and get the staging and imaging just right. If you really want SQ deleting the rear stage might be a first step. If you just want sounds good, then maybe not.

When I first bought my 80prs, I was running passive only until I had the time to hook my system up in an active configuration. Even using it in a passive configuration there were many benefits, mainly I loved having the 16 band eq, as opposed to the 5 or 8 band that most pioneer head units incorporate. When I went active, I got rid of my rear 6x8's, and used my 4 channel for my mids and tweets. Honestly I haven't missed the 6x8's. Running the headunit in network mode can be confusing at first, but the benefits are immense.

2007 Ford F-150 Reg. Cab. Flareside
250 Mechman Alternator
Sky High Car Audio Big 3
XS Power D3400
Rockford Fosgate 1/0 amp kit
Rockford Fosgate T1500-1bdcp
Rockford Fosgate T400-4
DC Audio Lvl 4 12"
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6.5" component
Rockford Fosgate Punch 6x8
Pioneer AVH-P2300DVD
SMD Volt Meter

Well, since I already have everything to run passive I think I will go ahead and get the 80PRS. The P4100DVD as well as the P165's and R2D2-10 were all extras that my son had from one of his prior systems so they didn't cost me anything so if I get the 80PRS and end up changing out the P165's to components later on it really hasn't cost me anything more than it would have spent from the beginning. I just don't have a lot of options for speaker placement in the Chevelle. I am doing a custom dash and dash pad so i can get creative with tweeter location but the mids have to be in the kick panels as there are no other options.

Thanks for the opinions, greatly appreciated.

When I had my 66 chevelle there was no way to get a system louder than the 427 BB I built for it. LOL The engine was all the music I needed.

Do you have any pics of your Chevelle?

DSC_2279.jpg

20131006_140112_zpsid6mbju1.jpg

20131006_140124_zpsahmpxcm0.jpg

80prs

Arc Audio Xdi 1200.6 (using active crossovers) Freaking awesome amplifier

Incriminator IA 10.1

Focal PS 130v 5.25 (doors)

4" Faital pro Neo (kick panels) 

3" Faital pro Neo and focal tweets( dash)

DC Audio level 3 12"  custom box designed by joex built by me

AGM front, XS 750SE batteries rear

DC 180 alt

99 Toyota Tacoma extra cab

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/179476-my-small-build-turned-into-the-ongoing-build/

LOL I know what you mean.. I built a pretty stout 461 BB and have 3" stainless exhaust. Music to my ears.. That's why I need a decent sound system, to keep me from being put to sleep by the tranquil sounds of the hum of the big block.. LOL I have a build thread of sorts over at www.chevelles.com here is a link to it.. http://www.chevelles.com/forums/142-projects-builds/843913-who-brave-enough.html

Archived