Mitchaford Posted December 8, 2016 Report Posted December 8, 2016 I want to put my mayhem back into my car but the box I have right now is tuned a little too high for that sub. If anyone can design a box it would be greatly appreciated. I can pay whoever helps out AA Mayhem 12 Max Dimensions: (smaller the box the better, the box i have now is a pain in the bum to move around, sub will be on 4k) Height: 16in Depth: 40in Length: 30in Tuning: 31-33 Sub Info: http://ascendantaudio.com/products/mayhem/ 2008 VW Jetta Team Fi 12 CT 4000.1 CT 125.4 PWX 6.5 80 PRS EB Flex 2/0 Second Skin ^^^ Build ^^^
DLHgn Posted December 8, 2016 Report Posted December 8, 2016 I can help you out but it will have to be later tonight after I turn in this final at 11:55pm. If no one is helping by then I would be happy to help you out man.
Mitchaford Posted December 9, 2016 Author Report Posted December 9, 2016 I can help you out but it will have to be later tonight after I turn in this final at 11:55pm. If no one is helping by then I would be happy to help you out man. Ok sounds good, turn in that final my dude 2008 VW Jetta Team Fi 12 CT 4000.1 CT 125.4 PWX 6.5 80 PRS EB Flex 2/0 Second Skin ^^^ Build ^^^
DLHgn Posted December 9, 2016 Report Posted December 9, 2016 Working on it. It's nearing 8 pages now.
DLHgn Posted December 9, 2016 Report Posted December 9, 2016 Working on it now. Throwing together a model of it and i'll show you what i've got
DLHgn Posted December 9, 2016 Report Posted December 9, 2016 Ok, so here's the deal. I'm not sure what exactly you want in terms of positioning. I decided to go with sub up port back/front. Net Volume: ~4 ft^3Tuning: ~31Hz Port Area: ~86 in^2Port Length: 40.5 inThe dimensions of the box are 16H x 30L x 32.5DTrans MagCone ExcursionPort VelocityPort ViewSub ViewBack ViewI hope you like the design. I would like some of the more experienced users to chime in on it to see what they think. I had a different design initially but then realized that the Mayhem 12 uses a basket meant for a 15" so it didn't fit on the same face as the port. The only face it would fit on is the top. The walls that you see are missing are double walled as well as the baffle. You can make the sub flush by making the outside cutout the size of the outside diameter (didn't do it on the model because it was giving me issues). The braces are intended to support the baffle. I was worried with as much as the sub ways plus it being upwards that it wouldn't be rock solid. Hopefully this would do it. Tell me what you think. If you had something else in mind let me know. I can show you the original design but, like I said, the sub is too big for the face. It only leaves a sliver of material left on the top and bottom. If you could spare a few more inches on the height I could probably make it work.
DLHgn Posted December 9, 2016 Report Posted December 9, 2016 If you like the design and some more experienced members don't have anything too bad to say about it I can send you the link to the model that way you can look at all the measurements yourself. There are a lot of panels and it would take a long time to measure them all out and type them up on here.
Mitchaford Posted December 9, 2016 Author Report Posted December 9, 2016 If you like the design and some more experienced members don't have anything too bad to say about it I can send you the link to the model that way you can look at all the measurements yourself. There are a lot of panels and it would take a long time to measure them all out and type them up on here. I dig it. I can do two more inches on the height but I like the design as is. I've never had a sub firing up in a trunk so lets see how this works out. 2008 VW Jetta Team Fi 12 CT 4000.1 CT 125.4 PWX 6.5 80 PRS EB Flex 2/0 Second Skin ^^^ Build ^^^
DLHgn Posted December 9, 2016 Report Posted December 9, 2016 I'm glad you like it. I hope it also gets the steal of approval from the more experienced box design members on here. I tried my best to get it as small as possible because you said your last box was a pain. My main problem was getting everything to be okay when ran on 4 kW. Port noise/compression was a big problem but with this design you should be just barely seeing 27 m/s on 4 kW. I wanted the net volume to be smaller but any smaller and the port had to be way too long to achieve desired tuning. However, your excursion looks fine on 4k. You shouldn't reach Xmax until about 27Hz on that much power and on 2500w you should be fine until around 23Hz. The frequency response is a bit peaky but that's just what happens when you have such a large box for one 12". I had fun designing this though. EDIT: Also, that circle you see floating is about where the magnet would be in the enclosure.
Triticum Agricolam Posted December 10, 2016 Report Posted December 10, 2016 That's a beautiful box DLHgn came up with, but the net volume is much too big IMHO. At 4 cu ft it is WAY over the recommendation of 1.5 -2.5 cu ft, combined with the fact that the sub will be seeing a fair bit more that rated power I think its a recipe for bad things happening. Given the amount of power Mitchaford wants to run, its a difficult task to come up with a design that has enough port area and still keep the tuning frequency where it needs to be without the port getting too long. Unfortunately there is not going to be an ideal solution and a compromise will have to be made. My suggestion would be to keep net volume at or below 2.5 cu feet. With a 32 hz tuning and a 50 sq in port the port won't be obscenely long. Port velocity will be higher than what I really like to see and there will probably be some output loss, but that's the compromise that needs to be made. "Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it.""Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."Builds:
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.