Second Skin Audio

Single 12 box design

Mitchaford

That's a beautiful box DLHgn came up with, but the net volume is much too big IMHO. At 4 cu ft it is WAY over the recommendation of 1.5 -2.5 cu ft, combined with the fact that the sub will be seeing a fair bit more that rated power I think its a recipe for bad things happening.

Given the amount of power Mitchaford wants to run, its a difficult task to come up with a design that has enough port area and still keep the tuning frequency where it needs to be without the port getting too long. Unfortunately there is not going to be an ideal solution and a compromise will have to be made. My suggestion would be to keep net volume at or below 2.5 cu feet. With a 32 hz tuning and a 50 sq in port the port won't be obscenely long. Port velocity will be higher than what I really like to see and there will probably be some output loss, but that's the compromise that needs to be made.

And that's one of the things I was concerned with. It seemed WAY too big but it still simmed okay. Whatever the case may be I can whip something up real quick to those specs and relatively same design.

Here's the new design taking into consideration Triticum's suggestions

Net Volume: 2.6 ft^3
Tuning: 31Hz
Port Area: 55 in^2
Port Length: 42 in

Overall Dimensions: 16H x 30L x 23"D

Kept the same style as the first design but reduced it. Here are all the graphs for it as well as model

Trans Mag
eL5XPOm.png

Cone Excursion
XGlXGgx.png

Port Velocity (Peaks at ~36 m/s
q6zramI.png

Port View
6RqfAYz.png

Sub View
SLtK9n5.png

Back View
SXQq9lJ.png

Again, random circle floating is where the end of the magnet will come. Walls that are left open are double walled. All graphs are assuming 4kw signal. At 2500w the port velocity comes down to 30 m/s at it's peak.

I didn't even notice the first box being 4 cubes. The one I have now is 2.25 (H-15 // W-29 // D-17) It just seems way bigger than 2.25 because getting that sucker out takes some muscle

So seeing that having the sub on 4k wouldn't be as good of an idea as I thought, I can run it on another amp that does 2500 so if I were to keep box #2 at 2.6 cubes, would using that box still be good at that power?

I really appreciate the work you've put in my man. Dudes juggling papers and still drops a dope design.

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

The box would still be fine on 2500w. The port velocity is still a bit higher than I would like but it's a compromise. If I made the port area larger to reduce the velocity, I would have to make the port longer to keep the same tuning. Too long of a port starts introducing its own problems. A way to counteract that is make the net volume bigger but again that starts bringing about its own problems. So, a compromise has to be made. It should still work fine for a daily and you can still put 4k to it if you want. You may or may not hear the port. Try it out and see (with caution of course)

The box would still be fine on 2500w. The port velocity is still a bit higher than I would like but it's a compromise. If I made the port area larger to reduce the velocity, I would have to make the port longer to keep the same tuning. Too long of a port starts introducing its own problems. A way to counteract that is make the net volume bigger but again that starts bringing about its own problems. So, a compromise has to be made. It should still work fine for a daily and you can still put 4k to it if you want. You may or may not hear the port. Try it out and see (with caution of course)

If had port noise before, i hate it. You think there will be port noise on 2500? It's going to be in my daily so all I care about is it playing nicely

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

I mean, on 2500 you're reaching 30 m/s which is typically where it starts. No guarantees. To help reduce your chances you can flare the openings of the port. I could try making the port larger if you wouldn't mind tuning a bit higher.

Slight redesign. Now with 68.75 in^2 port area. Tuned to ~33Hz with the same port length as before. At 4k you get a maximum port velocity of 30 m/s and at 2500w you get a maximum of just under 24 m/s. Net volume is like .05 ft^3 larger and the overall design is the same besides a new slightly altered depth of of 25"

Slight redesign. Now with 68.75 in^2 port area. Tuned to ~33Hz with the same port length as before. At 4k you get a maximum port velocity of 30 m/s and at 2500w you get a maximum of just under 24 m/s. Net volume is like .05 ft^3 larger and the overall design is the same besides a new slightly altered depth of of 25"

Sounds great man. Ill toss her on 2500 first then see what it sounds like. Can you message me full dimensions of what you have?

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

I can post the panels here if you want or send you the entire model if you have sketchup. It would probably be easier for you just to have the model that way you know the orientation and angles but I can post it here if need be.

I can post the panels here if you want or send you the entire model if you have sketchup. It would probably be easier for you just to have the model that way you know the orientation and angles but I can post it here if need be.

If you could post it on here that would be great. I don't have sketchup :/

2008 VW Jetta

Team Fi 12 

CT 4000.1

CT 125.4

PWX 6.5

80 PRS

EB Flex 2/0

Second Skin

^^^ Build ^^^

Archived