Tweak your internet connection

It would be really nice if the mods decide to STICKY this. I think it may be helpful.

=============================================================

GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR INTERNET CONNECTION: CA3LE & DSL

===================================================

First of all go to the properties of your network connections. This is done by going to Control Panel >> Network Connections >> Right Click on Local Area Connection >> Click Properties.

Next, I want you to disable QoS (Quality of Service) Packet Scheduler. Disable File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks. MAKE SURE THAT INTERNET PROTOCOL (TCP/IP) IS ENABLED. This  and Client for Microsoft Networks are the only things you need enabled. If you have a VPN (Virtual Private Network) and you share files, then you may have File and Printer Sharing enabled. Otherwise, I strongly caution against this.

*/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

One reason why many people cannot achieve their maximum potential speed is because their computers are infected with spyware and/or adware. These peices of software leech your connection and invade your privacy. 

Open your System Configuration Utility. This is done by clicking START >> click RUN >> Type in: "msconfig" (without the quotations) >> Click ok/ Press Enter.

Go to the StartUp tab. This shows a list of all programs that are loaded with the operating system at start up. Click Disable All. Note that some things may lose full functionality...including your keyboard (if it is the type that has many extra features). But you will still be able to type, click and browse the net....that is all you need for this guide. Also, feel free to enable anything that you feel you need after you have completed this guide. Click ok, then restart your computer.

**This is necessary as it disables malware that may startup with windows and thus make them easier to find when scanning.

Download and install the latest copy of Adaware, if you don't already have it. It can be found here: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Also download and install Spybot Search and Destroy here: http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Make sure that you update to the definition file so that it can find new spyware. Perform a FULL system scan with both software...one finds what the other leaves behind, so together they eliminate over 95% of spyware. Perform a full system scan again!!

*/---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------*/

Now you are ready to tweak. You will need CableNut. You can find the latest copy here: www.cablenut.com.

Install it. After you have installed cablenut, find the adjuster program. To do this click on My Computer from the Start Menu >> Local Disk (C:) >> Program files >> Cablenut >> adjuster.exe. When the adjuster is open I want you to clikc "Delete Cablenut Tweaks", click ok and then restart your computer.

When you have restarted, open up your command prompt window. START >> RUN >> type in: cmd >> Click enter. Don't do anything, just leave the window open.

Now go to Microsoft's Download Page: www.microsoft.com/downloads and download a huge file like the .NET framework (100, 000 KB). The reason for this is because we need a file downloading long enough to complete a tracert test in the command prompt. Ok, once you have started to download the file switch to the command prompt window that you opened earlier, and type tracert www.tweakxp.com. When the test is complete, feel free to cancel the download. Next, I want you to take note of your highest latency (in milliseconds /ms) from your command prompt. Just look for the largest number on the screen where the test took place. Doesn't matter where the largest number occurs. Take a note of it!

Now go to this site: www.j79zlr.com/cablenutXP2k.php. This site is a calculator for cablenut settings. Put in your information for your connection.

Click compute settings.

You will see the optimal values for your connection automatically appear in the fields below. Scroll down some more and look for "CCS File Download". Click that and downlod that file to your desktop. Next I want you to change the extension of the file from .php to .ccs This is the file type cablenut adjuster uses. Then double click on the ccs file. The adjuster should automatically open up with the values loaded in the fields and ready to go. On the adjuster, set "SynAttackProtect" to 0 then click Save to Registry and click ok.

Next, I attached three files to this guide. They are registry files so just double click of them one by one in any order and click ok and ok again. This will automatically make some changes to your registry. The name of the files will give you some hint as to what they do.

Now restart your computer.  :^

DisableDNSCaching.reg

FasterPageLoading.reg

IncreaseBuffer.reg

Could you explain that again in english? :-[

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Could you explain that again in english? :-[

LOL...I know it can be a little confusing.

I'd be happy to help if you have questions, though.

Theres not enough time in a day to help me with computers. Mines hit and miss if it even works. I know stereo's but the inside of a computer scares me

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

so wut u mean if i do that itll make my Cable connect. faster then it is? lol.

The thing is you may think your connection is already fast and that may be true. But, more than likely, your computer MAY NOT be taking full advantage of it and thus, you can squeeze out some more life out of it. Namely, making pages load faster and downloads higher.