Second Skin Audio

Trouble Reading Enclosure Specifications

whazoo84

2500-5000W, as I stated above in a reply.

No, you didn't. At least not in this thread.

Four 4" ports is no where near enough port area for 5000 watts, or 2500 for that matter. With that amount of port area you will basically have a sealed box. With a 7 cu ft box tuned to 35 hz you would want a MINIMUM of 80 sq in of port area. On 5000 watts you would need a min of 120 sq in. In both cases more port area would be better. If running 5,000 watts is a possibility I'd suggest building the box to support that, even if you never run more than 2500 watts the extra port area won't hurt.

Are the dimensions you have listed in your Torres screenshot the max you have available? I can try to come up with a design in Torres that should work for you. To get enough port area you are probably going to need to use slot port.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2500-5000W, as I stated above in a reply.

No, you didn't. At least not in this thread.

Four 4" ports is no were near enough port area for 5000 watts, or 2500 for that matter. With that amount of port area you will basically have a sealed box. With a 7 cu ft box tuned to 35 hz you would want a MINIMUM of 80 sq in of port area. On 5000 watts you would need a min of 120 sq in. In both cases more port area would be better. If running 5,000 watts is a possibility I'd suggest building the box to support that, even if you never run more than 2500 watts the extra port area won't hurt.

Are the dimensions you have listed in your Torres screenshot the max you have available? I can try to come up with a design in Torres that should work for you. To get enough port area you are probably going to need to use slot port.

Max dimensions: 17 tall, 36 wide, 30 deep.

If you could come up with a design in Torres that'd be great.

Here is what I came up with:

u2KCCmv.png

The trick is finding a balance between maintaining as much net volume as possible while still keeping enough port area and tuning where you want it to be. I did the best I could.

The issue with what I came up with is you can't fit two 15" subs and a 7" wide port on the same face of a 36" wide box. I don't know if you were planning on porting out the side or not, but that's how what I came up with will have to work. If you want to port out the same face as the subs, you are going to have to explore other options.

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

Here is what I came up with:

u2KCCmv.png

The trick is finding a balance between maintaining as much net volume as possible while still keeping enough port area and tuning where you want it to be. I did the best I could.

The issue with what I came up with is you can't fit two 15" subs and a 7" wide port on the same face of a 36" wide box. I don't know if you were planning on porting out the side or not, but that's how what I came up with will have to work. If you want to port out the same face as the subs, you are going to have to explore other options.

So I decided to try to make this a little different to see what I could do now that I understand this better, I found if I use 8 4" ports I can have an incredibly precise tuning and get the measurements for everything really close to being good. Check it:

6fd3be8bbb14ecb96ea47685070cb941.png

Are you planning to put the ports on the front of the box, or on the side?

While eight 4" ports will provide a decent amount of port area in theory, in practice it probably won't work out real well. The more ports you use, the less efficient they are. Anything past two ports and aeroports pretty much lose all the efficiency benefits they normally have. At eight ports you are going to be significantly better off with a slot port. If you want to use an aeroport you really should stick to either one large one or two slightly smaller ports.

Builds:

Are you planning to put the ports on the front of the box, or on the side?

While eight 4" ports will provide a decent amount of port area in theory, in practice it probably won't work out real well. The more ports you use, the less efficient they are. Anything past two ports and aeroports pretty much lose all the efficiency benefits they normally have. At eight ports you are going to be significantly better off with a slot port. If you want to use an aeroport you really should stick to either one large one or two slightly smaller ports.

Putting the port on the side. Redid it with 1 12" port.

557c05c3a0aba3392b97b93049928225.png

Also holy shit 12" piping is expensive.

Four 4" ports is no were near enough port area for 5000 watts, or 2500 for that matter.

but but but I did 156s with 2 4 inch ports, port area does not matter....

For real though listen to this guy, one of the very few I would take enclosure recommendations from on this site.

Im glad some people have the time and are able to help out people here like Triticum and JoeX

Four 4" ports is no were near enough port area for 5000 watts, or 2500 for that matter.

but but but I did 156s with 2 4 inch ports, port area does not matter....

For real though listen to this guy, one of the very few I would take enclosure recommendations from on this site.

Im glad some people have the time and are able to help out people here like Triticum and JoeX

Yeah, he deffo knows his shit. The thing is though I am like level 3 out of 10 when it comes to box building knowledge, hence why I'm asking for help so much because I really do not want to fuck this up. I want to know if the 12" port will work so I can order the port, and then get the box done and port the thing. Once I get that done I can do the wiring no problem.

The 12" port should work great. Here is an inexpensive option for making the port:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-12-in-x-48-in-Tube-for-Concrete-200077374/100324386

You will need to have the port stick out a few inches from the side of the box though. You want the port to be AT LEAST 6" from the inside edge of the box, so with a 36" wide box and a 32" long port it will need to stick out at least 2.75", a bit more would be better.

Builds:

The 12" port should work great. Here is an inexpensive option for making the port:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/SAKRETE-12-in-x-48-in-Tube-for-Concrete-200077374/100324386

You will need to have the port stick out a few inches from the side of the box though. You want the port to be AT LEAST 6" from the inside edge of the box, so with a 36" wide box and a 32" long port it will need to stick out at least 2.75", a bit more would be better.

I'll make it stick out 4" to be safe, as the subs are gonna face the seats, and the port is gonna face the side of the trunk.

Also THANK YOU SO MUCH I CAN FINALLY START MY FUCKIN' BUILD, WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

Also, about that port, you sure that'll be good? I was gonna get a 12" .5" thick PVC pipe made for this so that it was nice and rigid. But if you say that'll work, I won't question it.

Archived