kam311 Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 Hey guys, It has been a while since I've posted here. I went to college, got married and a bunch of other shit. I am finally starting to get up on my feet and collect the tools I need to start building again. Recently my dad was getting his truck worked on and got his entire system jacked from the dealership. All clues lead to an inside job, but whatever, he got his insurance money. He had a box built for his new system, and it isn't a bad box, the dimensions and frequency for the subs are just fine, but the shape of the box could be a much more practical and functional shape. I am a fairly decent wood worker with experience building some fairly successful boxes, so I am going to build him one better (hopefully). The box is for 2 sundown dvc 4 E10 v.2 on a sundown SAE 600d @ 1 ohm. It is a single cab 2004.5 dodge ram, so there is a decent amount of space. The box I have mocked up can fit inside the truck without an issue, I am mainly hoping for a quick over view of the dimensions and the port. It all lines up perfect in torres, but I am checking for any design flaws that would cause it to be shit. I am attaching the torres screenshot, along with a quick mock up in sketch up. It would be awesome if some of my knowledgeable bassheads could take a quick peek with feedback. Net vol - 2.00ft^3 @ 31.61hz Port area 6.28"^2 per cube - 4" aero port This box seems simple, but a lot of the work is going to be done to the top of the box giving it functionality so that he can still use the little bit of single cab space and place things on top of it, while still allowing full function of the seats.. The top plate will be formed to fit perfectly against the walls with a slight border to help things stay on top. I will also do the top piece out of some type of hardwood, preferably maple hardwood flooring. This is just a mock up of the bottom portion that will hold the subs. so far... HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B Amp- crescendo BC2000D Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead Electric- Big 3 ^same wire Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs
neuspeedescort Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 that port area even for an aero and lower power seems really undersized. even with low power you have cone area that is going to be moving a fair amount of air.
kam311 Posted January 27, 2017 Author Report Posted January 27, 2017 13 minutes ago, neuspeedescort said: that port area even for an aero and lower power seems really undersized. even with low power you have cone area that is going to be moving a fair amount of air. That is kind of the area I am looking for help with. I can make some adjustments to the box to get the port dialed. One option is to do a 5" port, which is probably cutting it close to the edges of the box. Another would be a slot port, but it seems that an aero would be theoretically more efficient. I could also squeeze some more space out of the cab by conforming the box to the same of the truck, but my first option was to keep it simple. Any other suggestions are welcome so far... HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B Amp- crescendo BC2000D Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead Electric- Big 3 ^same wire Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs
neuspeedescort Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 you could just to a square port on the bottom. or you could make it side exit like it's designed but make the port got vertical and than turn horizontal across the top to help with loading. that would give you some nice bracing as a side effect. just round over the port edge on the inside and 45 the corners.
kam311 Posted January 27, 2017 Author Report Posted January 27, 2017 4 minutes ago, neuspeedescort said: you could just to a square port on the bottom. or you could make it side exit like it's designed but make the port got vertical and than turn horizontal across the top to help with loading. that would give you some nice bracing as a side effect. just round over the port edge on the inside and 45 the corners. Are you saying to do a bigger diameter of aero port and throw a 45°? That could work, so could a square port across the top or bottom. I really just want it to sound good for the pops. so far... HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B Amp- crescendo BC2000D Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead Electric- Big 3 ^same wire Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs
neuspeedescort Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 a bigger aero? yes. or a square port like this sweet ass MS paint drawing. port exiting on the bottom left corner.
kam311 Posted January 27, 2017 Author Report Posted January 27, 2017 7 hours ago, neuspeedescort said: a bigger aero? yes. or a square port like this sweet ass MS paint drawing. port exiting on the bottom left corner. Hmm I'll see what I can figure up, you are talking a straight up square port, and not a slot right. The drawing looks like I would start it on the roof of the box, and finish on the bottom left sight. Right down the middle so far... HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B Amp- crescendo BC2000D Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead Electric- Big 3 ^same wire Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs
neuspeedescort Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 yes. more of a rectangle port not a true slot or square. i was playing with numbers last night and i think your port would be 7"x4" by 30ish" or something like that. i built a box like this for a shallow 8 in a truck once. i left the port straight and the woofer was near the end of the port. caused a bit of unloading at full tilt. so adding in that bend in the port should help alleviate with that.
kam311 Posted January 27, 2017 Author Report Posted January 27, 2017 42 minutes ago, neuspeedescort said: yes. more of a rectangle port not a true slot or square. i was playing with numbers last night and i think your port would be 7"x4" by 30ish" or something like that. i built a box like this for a shallow 8 in a truck once. i left the port straight and the woofer was near the end of the port. caused a bit of unloading at full tilt. so adding in that bend in the port should help alleviate with that. Thanks for that idea man, I think you are spot on. That is what I was worried about with the aero straight out the side, which is why I posted. I wasn't even thinking of a square port, but I'm a fan of the idea. Thank, I'll most likely post the build on here because it should be a pretty cool box when it's done. Thanks again man so far... HU- pioneer DEH-P59001B Amp- crescendo BC2000D Wire- 1/0 awg welding lead Electric- Big 3 ^same wire Subs- 2 Obsidian Audio 12 d4's Box 4ft^3 ported at 33hz. designed by Ram-Designs
neuspeedescort Posted January 27, 2017 Report Posted January 27, 2017 no problem. it's what this place is for. look forward to the build.
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.