How Do Tweeters Work

hi i have a RF 2 way component set, i was wanting to know hoe the tweeters work? i put my ear right next to them and i cudn't hear anything coming out of them? it seemed as tho it was only coming out of the woofer? or can you not hear the tweeters from close up or something?

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*Rockford Fosgate Power 6.5's

*Rockford Fosgate Fanatics 6.5's Both in front doors

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi i have a RF 2 way component set, i was wanting to know hoe the tweeters work? i put my ear right next to them and i cudn't hear anything coming out of them? it seemed as tho it was only coming out of the woofer? or can you not hear the tweeters from close up or something?

You should definately be able to hear tweeters if you put your ear up next to them, cymbal crashes are the most obvious. Maybe doube check the wiring from the crossover to the tweeter?

Edited by ptcary

PTCary

2003 SMD PT Cruiser

2011 Honda CBR 250R

2010 Mazda 3i Sport

MY BUILD LOG

You should definately be able to hear tweeters if you put your ear up next to them, cymbal crashes are the most obvious. Maybe doube check the wiring from the crossover to the tweeter?

i have the crossover connected up to the head unit 50 watt out put temporarilly(until i recieve my new amp)

i had the left and right one wired up, i disconnected the woofer at the crossover, and i could only slightly hear the tweeter, it was like there isnt much power going into them? they are 70 rms(the componant set) so if i was to wire it up to the amp at 70 would the tweeters have more life?

i could deffinately tell that most of the vocals were coming from the woofer, and only slightly a bit from the tweeter, is this because the frequency settings from the head unit or is that normal? (i would have thort the vocals would come from tweeter, and mid bass etc plays through the woofer?)

what is a good frequency to set the amp to when i put these speakers to the amp?

thanks .soorry that is a bit rushed etc lol :)

EDIT ye one of the tweeters had bad wiring where i had to connect the new wire to the tweeter wire. DOH lool

Edited by Beckett

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*0/1 Guage wiring from front Junction Boxes to 120AH Battery In Boot (battery removed because too small for alternator)

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

-------------------------------------------------------------------------x------------------------------------------------------------------------------

for one hooking a componant set up to a head unit is abad idea. Your head unit is not going to produce clean power at higher volumes and sending a dirty or clipped signal to speakers is going to damage them over time. The tweeters produce higher frequencies like the cymbal crashes or sssss in vocals your mids are going to handle more of the vocals and music notes. I would set my amp to full range or about 80hz at the lowest for your mids and highs. when set at full like mine are the xovers for the mid/highs take care of that work.

Some people need a sympathetic pat... on the head...with my hammer

Scientia est Vox

"In Nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti"clover.gif

DONT BE AFRAID TO USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!!!

SMD SUPER BUYER/SELLER

Roscoe.jpg

for one hooking a componant set up to a head unit is abad idea. Your head unit is not going to produce clean power at higher volumes and sending a dirty or clipped signal to speakers is going to damage them over time. The tweeters produce higher frequencies like the cymbal crashes or sssss in vocals your mids are going to handle more of the vocals and music notes. I would set my amp to full range or about 80hz at the lowest for your mids and highs. when set at full like mine are the xovers for the mid/highs take care of that work.

thanks for that sir, i am now understanding how componant sets work now :)

btw, i haven't got them wired up to my HU any more, i was just testing them out kinda.

this is the amp i will be using

and these are the RF speakers

4 of them RF speakers and my typr-r will be the only speakers in the car.... how should i set the amp to power the speakers? it says the amp "comes outfitted with two variable 12dB per octave electronic crossovers allowing you to optimize system tuning based on speaker location and accompanying loudspeaker components."

thanks so much for help guys :)

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

I have that amp powering 6.5 inch kappa comps in front and reference 5.25s in the rear, it does a very good job for me

you'll just connect the speaker wire from the crossovers to the appropriate channels on the amp and use the amp crossover to set it to the rated high pass frequencey for your speakers (high pass = everything higher than the number you select on the amp will be allowed to go to the speakers).

the crossover will then do its job with what is passed to it from the amp, seperating the higher freq. highs to the tweets and the lower higher and more mid bassish frequencies to the speaker itself.

im also lookin for this question, like with my pioneer hu its got a high pass xover built in and if i wanted to set my componits with my amp do i set the xover on the hu to off and then set the high pass freq to what ever i need them to play? and my mids n highs amp is a memphis 150.2 and i cant turn it up to the first notch cause its so damn loud, i got it wired to 2ohm and cant turn my amp up cause its got to much power but what i was wantin to do is have my mids n highs play good midbass and just have my subs for the low end and some mid to fallow threw with the overall sound

here's a link to my system 99 toyota tacoma , 2 mtx 8000 1504's in a sealed downfire , 1000w memphis amp

here's a link to my other system my 90 geo prizm test car

heres a thread i got of new songs u can dl that are legal = Some Good Bangage/you Can Dl These Free And Legit

redblob.gifbouncing%20blob.gif2yooj7m.pngmodel14.gif

Guest MegaloManiac

:blink: wow

you can go lower than that

I have that amp powering 6.5 inch kappa comps in front and reference 5.25s in the rear, it does a very good job for me

you'll just connect the speaker wire from the crossovers to the appropriate channels on the amp and use the amp crossover to set it to the rated high pass frequencey for your speakers (high pass = everything higher than the number you select on the amp will be allowed to go to the speakers).

the crossover will then do its job with what is passed to it from the amp, seperating the higher freq. highs to the tweets and the lower higher and more mid bassish frequencies to the speaker itself.

cheers for the help man:)

i set the speakers and everything up today. and OMFG it is sooooo damn good! i had the crossover on HP (front and rear) (all speakjers are in front doors) the woofers was hardly moving? except 1, that was moving more than the rest :S lol. then i set it to 'FLAT' and all the woofers move at the same time etc they move afair bit too!

is there like a really good way to set the amp, or is the flat setting for all 4 speakers good enough? i have the frequency set like abit pas half way.

one last question, on the crossover for the speakers it has alight bulb that goes on when too much poewer goes to the tweets. it has been doing that a bit today. is that not gunna damage the tweets or nothing? i have now turnt the treble on the HU down to -2 or sommin and it isn't comin on much more.

cheeeeers for the help:)

Beckett

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit

also when i turn the car engine off, there is a pop from all the door speakers(the woofers move once) is this because of my remote wire? i have put a second wire onto the remote on the 1st amp and ran that to the second amp. is that not a good idea? should i split the wire or what would be best ?

thanks

*Alpine Typr-R 12"

*JBL GTO 1200.1 Sub Amp

*Alpine PDX-4.100

*140 Amp HO Alternator

*Alpine Head Unit