Second Skin Audio

Porting a Truck Subwoofer box

I have a wedge style box for my two 10" RF p2d4 subs , each compartment is sealed off in the box and each one is 1.4 cubic feet (2.80 cubic feet total) The optimum frequentcy for it is 40hz and the manufacturer says it need a 4x14 port to achieve that and I was wondering if I could use 2smaller ports to achieve the same thing and have them style pound good and sound great. The box dimensions of you guys need them are 55 1/4 wide total (both compartments , but its sealed on the inside in the middle) 12 1/2" front height, 7" rear height and has a 19" depth. This box was made for my 04 silverado but for L5's or L7's so I modified the front to hold my round subs , I found it online and since the airspace was exact for my subs I bought it. If anyone at all could please help me I'd appreciate it.
Thanks

you could do a couple round ports. Did some quick numbers based off what you gave. You would need two 4" ports in each side to get that kind of port area you provided. Each being about 12.5" in length. I didn't look up your subs for actual specs but that should be close. I would start there and with the round ports it would allow you to tune them better. would be better if the two chambers weren't separated but if you want to keep it that way I would say that's your best bet. 

12 hours ago, jfw5731 said:

you could do a couple round ports. Did some quick numbers based off what you gave. You would need two 4" ports in each side to get that kind of port area you provided. Each being about 12.5" in length. I didn't look up your subs for actual specs but that should be close. I would start there and with the round ports it would allow you to tune them better. would be better if the two chambers weren't separated but if you want to keep it that way I would say that's your best bet. 

Well I was wondering if I could do (2) 2" diamteer by 6 to 7 inch long ports on each side to get the same affect , not many people have much expertise in this area , seems to be a lost art of sorts. The way the box was made it would be a lot easier to do that. Also should I get rid of the middle piece of wood and make it one large box? I appreciate your help. I'm going to attach a couple photos of my box.

thanks IMG_2095.thumb.PNG.39799180f54a3b169241ffdfaf40238b.PNG

the port area would be off with 2" ports according to the box volume numbers. If you did get rid of the center divider it would help because port area is based off of the total volume of the enclosure hence why ported boxes are not divided and sealed are. It is easier to tune because of that. You would probably have to suffice a higher tune to achieve the smaller port diameter. Probably 50 hertz or in that area. Which  probably wouldn't be all that bad for a pair of tens. Just search port calculators, there are hundreds out there. Figure out your required port area which would dictate on how big of port you need, fyi aero ports over a larger area, and then tuning will be determined by the length of the port. Port length calculators can help you with that one. 

Archived