Second Skin Audio

box for 2-15" hdc4s

1 hour ago, fyerbyrd22 said:

ill fill in your end of the conversation below:

"there is no issue and no such thing as too much port area"

You know me so well :-)  

I couldn't remember if I had debated this with you before or not.  

I too have PERSONALLY tested the effect of port area on compression and frequency response and my results were very different than yours.  I posted the results of my experiment here: 

I agree with Joe X, three 6" ports isn't enough based on the amount of power the OP is going to be running.  With that amount of port area he is probably going to lose around 4dB of output to port compression.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

1. so i ask again, what would YOU recommend he do?

2. i skimmed through the testing you did...was all of this testing done outside of a vehicle or did you do testing ina vehicle that i missed?

personal build in progress

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/188656-2013-kia-sorento-6-12-no-wall/

www.facebook.com/TurbulentDesigns

1 hour ago, fyerbyrd22 said:

1. so i ask again, what would YOU recommend he do?

2. i skimmed through the testing you did...was all of this testing done outside of a vehicle or did you do testing ina vehicle that i missed?

1. My recommendation would be for a slot port of at least 130 sq in, or if he really wanted to stick with aero ports, a single 12" round port would be acceptable, though it will probably be harder to implement.  

2. My testing was done outside in an open field to try to eliminate as many external factors as possible.  My goal was to measure purely the raw output from the box.  I still have all the test equipment and I certainly could test in a vehicle if you think it would change the results.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

12 hours ago, Andrew Storlie said:

if not 3-6" areos.... id run 2-8" but its almost the same... if i start going bigger, port length becomes too long to fit inside the box.

Two 8" ports will be a significant improvement over three 6" ports (not just from the larger port area), still not as much port area as I'd suggest, but a lot better than three 6".  

Fitting aeroports is often a challenge, a slot port may make things easier. 

Builds:

Archived