Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

Recommended Posts

Posted

Hey guys,

I currently have a 270 amp high output alternator in my '07 Monte Carlo and I think it's been having some issues lately. On initial install in 2012, it had a faulty voltage regulator and was sent back to MechMan for repair. When it was finally installed it worked flawlessly. However, after going through four batteries since then (I have a dual batt setup), I feel that there is an issue at hand.

1. I'm not sure if the alternator is faulty, but I just replaced my batteries and the car says there is a system charging issue, so I believe the alternator is having another issue.

2. I was told that a 270 amp would be fine for a 3000 watt system back in 2012 by MechMan and the shop I went through, yet two sets of batteries have died in five years; first pair was a Duralast Gold+Kinetik HC2000, second pair (by recommendation of Kinetik themselves) was a Kinetik HC1800-PRO+Kinetik HC2400BLU. So that said, should I go with a bigger alt or install two? The car originally had an OEM 105 amp alt installed and by calculations of others on forums, I've been told that my system+car electronics require roughly 313-345 amps (208-240 for system, original 105 for car).

3. If I have to go bigger or install two alts, how would I go about getting a bracket for it/them? MechMan doesn't offer a bracket, all the shops in my area don't offer that service, and I don't have experience with fabrication to it myself.

 

My Current Setup:

Duralast Gold battery (just to get the car running for diagnostics) under the hood. I would normally have a second batt hooked up in the trunk wired in parallel with front battery. But, since it's dead at the moment, I have the system turned off and that battery disconnected.

270 amp alternator

Pioneer single din head unit

Boss 10 farad capacitor

Hifonics ZRX600.4 powering my two Infinity Kappa 63.9i 6.5" (doors) and my two Infinity 693.9i 6x9 (rear deck)

Hifonics Brutus BRZ2400.1D powering my two Rockford T1D412 subs

I've double checked all the grounds and connections to make sure there was no issue there. But, even with my setup being looked over and approved by shops, I still find light dimming to be an issue and now my second set of batteries has died within 5 years of the systems original install. Any and all help would be appreciated.

Semper Fi,

Jerad

Posted

lights are always going to dim if you have voltage drop... your issue could be the alt.. the batteries.. or a voltage draw somewhere when the car is off put a brand new battery in it check the voltage let it sit for a few days to a week then check again see if there is a draw you dont know about if there is one might be the cause of the dying batteries even though 2 to 3 years could be just the life of the batteries you had... this is just my thoughts i could be wrong haha

 

plus should of posted this in electrical section 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 2176 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...