Second Skin Audio

need port placement help.

noobieman

7 minutes ago, noobieman said:
20 minutes ago, ckeeler11 said:

adding a couple of inches to the depth would definitely get you to where you need to be. the port should be 12.5" tall by 3.0" wide. 39" will give you a tune of 34 Hz. total box volume would be 2.0

okay so i'm about to go out to eat so i'll be gone for an hour or two but i'll be back with more questions.  currently i'd like to know how i could get a 39" port length w/ my dimensions. do i have to go w/ like an l shaped port some how or i'm not quite sure how that works.  as this is my first build i'm thinking simplicity is best.  how wide in diameter and long of a port would i need if i went with a single circular portand a common chamber?  the sundown website recommends 32hz tuning and you're saying same width and height but 2 inches deeper?

10 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

22.5W X 14w X 18D or 22.5W x 14d and 18H? subs up, back, forward, down? port forward, side, up, down?

vehicle?

power?

EDIT: It's a 2010 honda accord ex-l i'm okay with doing the big 3 but i just put in a new 130 amp alternator so i'm hoping to not have to get a high output alternator, the subs are rated at 500w rms apiece and i bought a skar audio skv2 1500.1 amp  and it's 14H  18D  going for subs in the front of the box standard mounting and trying to figure out how big of a port and where to place it

oops messed up that, meant to edit my previous post and add that, ended up making it all a quote in a new post somehow, but this is what's up -_-  sorry

ok, trunk car. i would fire back unless you are going to seal off really well around the trunk opening. i'll mess with the numbers you have to see what can be done. but the dimensions seem pretty small.

with width you have you are probably going to have to port to the side.

i have no idea how that will work in your car. trunk cars are tricky to get right. 

5 hours ago, strangeduck said:

with width you have you are probably going to have to port to the side.

i have no idea how that will work in your car. trunk cars are tricky to get right. 

Okay so it turns out i'm going to have to go down to 21.75 inches in width (i apparently had my measurments just slightly off, i thought i had 22.75 inches between the wheel wells in the attached picture, but i only have 21.75, but that means i have about 4 inches of space on either side of the box, so if i port it out the side it should have plenty of room on either side of it. there will also be a bit of room behind it, maybe 3 inches or so, and there is 15.5 inches between the floor and the bottom of that dvd player for the navigation system.

The speaker cutout according to the sundown website, is 8" 7/8"  so pretty much 9 inches across for each one, so I won't really have room to vent them out the front.  

So my updated maximum is 21.75"W x 15"H x 26"D

Would it work to go with a common chamber and a single circle port out of the back?  like 4 inches in diameter and 13.6 or so inches long, if that will work, how much displacement do i need to account for for a port that size?

picture of inside of the trunk, the box will sit between the wheel wells leaving nearly 4 inches on either side of the box:  http://i1243.photobucket.com/albums/gg547/noobieman/20170413_211126_zps3oe3xduq.jpg

okay so i have done some more messing around with the calculator, what do you guys think about this (see screenshot below)? it would be a narrow enough port that i could fit it on the front of the box, and since it's 12.5 inches and i made the box an inch shorter that means that the walls of the port could double as braces. i figured the displacement of the actual planks of wood for the port, the port itself and the speakers, and came up with .8963599546 or something along those lines. and as you can see in the picture here the total box volume 2.92 something so that leaves 2.03 or so for my available volume i think.  

Untitled_zpstrtqkbqe.png

A 1.25" x 12.5" port is only 15.625 sq in of port area.  As Sundown recommends, you need AT LEAST 16 sq in of port area per sub.  You aren't even half that.  Undersizing your port is going to result in poor performance.  

Here is my suggestion:

7uU2Psv.png

Its a single chamber box with a 3 common wall slot port.  The box has a double baffle for strength/flush mounting if you desire.  

The port is the full internal height of the box, it fires out the side and runs along the back of the box and up one side to get the 36" of total length.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

35 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

A 1.25" x 12.5" port is only 15.625 sq in of port area.  As Sundown recommends, you need AT LEAST 16 sq in of port area per sub.  You aren't even half that.  Undersizing your port is going to result in poor performance.  

Here is my suggestion:

7uU2Psv.png

Its a single chamber box with a 3 common wall slot port.  The box has a double baffle for strength/flush mounting if you desire.  

The port is the full internal height of the box, it fires out the side and runs along the back of the box and up one side to get the 36" of total length.  

awesome thanks very much for this.  I had realized it was only 15.xx something but I hadn't accounted for 2 subs, i was thinking i was close enough to the 16 inches squared, I wasn't accounting for 32 inches.  So being that this is my first box, I'm not 100% sure on how to read that. I'd like to say the dimensions of the port and the box itself is all i really need to get started, and I can picture what you're talking about.  But do the dimensions of the box account for the extra .75 inches from the double baffle?  Also, how do I need to angle the port, I have seen many pictures of ports online, where they use like angled cuts or put a curve in the port or something of that nature, or can I just make a perfectly straight edged L shaped wall along the back and side of the box and port it out of the side w/o any angle cuts or rounding?

Ok, here is how the box would be laid out and all the panel sizes.  
Pr3N1kK.png

All vertical panels are 13.5" wide.  The top and bottom panels are 22.75" x 21.75".

I had to make the port do a 180 degree turn, which I like to avoid if possible, but it won't fit any other way.  I had to increase the depth of the box an inch to account for this port layout. 

Rounding over all corners of the port is a good idea, so is adding 45 degree pieces, but for your situation it probably won't make much difference.  

For bracing a 7" wide shelf brace between the subs would work well.  Cutting some holes in it would be a good idea.  Here is how that would look:

zfzhTAo.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

45 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

Ok, here is how the box would be laid out and all the panel sizes.  
Pr3N1kK.png

All vertical panels are 13.5" wide.  The top and bottom panels are 22.75" x 21.75".

I had to make the port do a 180 degree turn, which I like to avoid if possible, but it won't fit any other way.  I had to increase the depth of the box an inch to account for this port layout. 

Rounding over all corners of the port is a good idea, so is adding 45 degree pieces, but for your situation it probably won't make much difference.  

For bracing a 7" wide shelf brace between the subs would work well.  Cutting some holes in it would be a good idea.  Here is how that would look:

zfzhTAo.png

AWESOME dude.  Thanks a bunch this will help a lot. It looks a bit different then I was envisioning but I see it now.  Going to go to work on this tonight.  Thanks again man.  Mad respect and all that good stuff.

Archived