heres what you need to do if you wanna run straight pipes.

put your pipe on the headers, and take some soap stone and draw a line from the collectors on down the length of the pipe.

then crank it up and run it till its up to temperature.

it will burn the soapstone off until a certain point.

where it stops is where you cut the pipe off, then thats the length of pipe that your motor will run the best on and have the correct backpressure.

we used to do this on racecars when we wanted to run an exhaust system instead of open headers.

hope this will help, and the gas mileage, im not too sure whether it will help or hurt it, but this way is the best way to get the most power gains from your exhaust.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

heres what you need to do if you wanna run straight pipes.

put your pipe on the headers, and take some soap stone and draw a line from the collectors on down the length of the pipe.

then crank it up and run it till its up to temperature.

it will burn the soapstone off until a certain point.

where it stops is where you cut the pipe off, then thats the length of pipe that your motor will run the best on and have the correct backpressure.

we used to do this on racecars when we wanted to run an exhaust system instead of open headers.

hope this will help, and the gas mileage, im not too sure whether it will help or hurt it, but this way is the best way to get the most power gains from your exhaust.

well.. i have stock cat and flowmaster 40 exhaust.. can i still do that soapstone thing ? just watch where it stops burning ?

94' cadillac 4.9L "not the northstar version"

i think its like 200hp @ 3600rpm

See the thing is your only gonna get what your motors made of, like seeing these kids putting flows on a grand am shit not knowing its the motor that makes the sound, so with your car you will probaly end up getting shittier sound the longer you make the pipe because of all the un-burned gas and echoing throughout, so if you can find where your closest hanger is to your engine and work your way back from there.

See the thing is your only gonna get what your motors made of, like seeing these kids putting flows on a grand am shit not knowing its the motor that makes the sound, so with your car you will probaly end up getting shittier sound the longer you make the pipe because of all the un-burned gas and echoing throughout, so if you can find where your closest hanger is to your engine and work your way back from there.

yeah.. its making an annoying humming noise... rather than that popping noise i'm actually looking for...

so ur saying shorten the pipe to the first hanger and add the muffler there ?

Backpressure helps the engine make more power, tourqe and horsepower increase with backpressure. When you loose or take off you muffler and run a straight pipe with no sort of device to make back pressure you loose power and gas mileage! It was the stupidest move ive ever made putting a glasspack on my Jeep. Lost 4 miles to the gallon driveing the exact same way!