Sonic Electronix

I know this is really simple but I just can't remember. Anyway I have a prime 400.4 in an accord powering the front components and the rear channels go to a dual two ohm sub. One channel per coil. So when you turn the key on it clicks. What's the remedy for that? Thanks. 

What's clicking? Going strictly from the only sentence that mentions clicking, you'd be referring to your key.

On 6/25/2017 at 11:46 AM, reedal said:

What's clicking? Going strictly from the only sentence that mentions clicking, you'd be referring to your key.

Ok yeah probably could of explained that better. When I turn the key on and the amp turns on it sounds like it sends a signal and causes like a click. Like almost a pop. It also sounds like it mostly comes out of the tweeters. 

On 6/25/2017 at 8:24 PM, 8ten8 said:

Do you have a turn-on relay? Maybe your hearing it open and close. Not a big deal 

I do not. Just used the head unit remote wire since it's just one amp and not a whole bunch of stuff right now. 

12 minutes ago, NathanH said:

Ok yeah probably could of explained that better. When I turn the key on and the amp turns on it sounds like it sends a signal and causes like a click. Like almost a pop. It also sounds like it mostly comes out of the tweeters. 

Where is head unit grounded, and where is amp grounded?

14 hours ago, reedal said:

Where is head unit grounded, and where is amp grounded?

For the amp I pulled up the carpet in the trunk and grinded the paint of and drilled two holes and screwed my wire end to that. It's not like a six inches away from the amp input. The head unit is wherever Honda had the original ran. I just cut the wires and soldered them to the kenwood plug. 

That's not a good ground for your amp. You need to solder or crimp a lug on the end, and bolt it to the chassis. The body isn't a good return path.

19 hours ago, reedal said:

That's not a good ground for your amp. You need to solder or crimp a lug on the end, and bolt it to the chassis. The body isn't a good return path.

I worded that weird again. I do have a lug on it and put the screws through the lug itself. Three to be exact. Would it trying to pull that ground cause the clicking? 

10 hours ago, NathanH said:

I worded that weird again. I do have a lug on it and put the screws through the lug itself. Three to be exact. Would it trying to pull that ground cause the clicking? 

Sometimes when you don't have a ground that connects back to the same point the source is grounded, you can get a turn-on/off pop. Having all chassis grounds provides all the same ground location (even if different locations on the chassis), and the chassis is a much better ground than the body due to its thickness.

Archived