Second Skin Audio

Need help with box build

I have 2 Alpine swr-1242d's running off a Audiopipe apcl 15001d. My box is already designed and ready down to the ports. Box is 3.5 cu ft and I want to use aeroports for it. My problem is due to the car I'm building this for, and the way i want it  (subs and port firing Into cabin) I'm limited on port diameter. Currently I can fit either 1 6" port or 2 4" ports. Which route should I take? Also I was told to tune the box to 34hz for my musical tastes. I listen to rock/country/rap so was told 34 was a good median is that true?

A 34 Hz tuning should be fine.

Neither a single 6" or two 4" is going to be anywhere near enough port area.  You will be throwing more than half your power away due to port compression.  Two 6" ports would work great, but they will need to be about 33" long to tune you to 34 hz, they would probably have to be external to keep from taking up so much box space.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

I'm not extremely worried about getting the maximum power from them. All I really want is it to sound good and give good bass in the car, while still giving me access to the back half of my trunk. So I guess my question should be if I run a single 6" port will it damage my sub at all? Two 33" 6's is wayyy to big for my car. 

19 minutes ago, Justin_1990 said:

I'm not extremely worried about getting the maximum power from them. All I really want is it to sound good and give good bass in the car, while still giving me access to the back half of my trunk. So I guess my question should be if I run a single 6" port will it damage my sub at all? Two 33" 6's is wayyy to big for my car. 

If you are not worried about getting max output your best option would be to leave the box sealed.  The problem with an undersized port isn't just the lost output, its also the port noise.  Having a port whistling away on every bass note is going to be the opposite of "sound good".  

From what it sounds like, there just isn't a way to port the box you have correctly.  If I were in your shoes and the choice was to either port the box poorly with a 6" port or to leave the box sealed, I would definitely leave the box sealed.  Sealed boxes can sound very good and are kinda underrated in today's car audio circles.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

16 minutes ago, Justin_1990 said:

But would a 3.5 cu ft box be to big for them sealed? You generally want a smaller boxfor sealed right?

Yeah, generally.  The trick with sealed box is making sure it small enough to keep excursion under control with the amount of power you are going to be running.  In your case 2.25 cu ft net would be about right.  Fortunately shrinking down the internal volume of a box is easy.  You just need to put stuff in the box to take up space.  Pieces of 2x4 are cheap and easy.  If you want to take up space without adding a bunch of weight you can use closed cell insulation board.  

Builds:

Yeah I'd like to keep it light. I've made everything out of birch so far. I haven't glued my pieces together yet so shrinking shouldn't be to hard. Just gonna be a little wasted wood. Next time I'll have to make sure I read the ports right lol. I went off a Facebook group and they all said 2 4" ports would work perfect. 

Technically speaking I could fit 2 6" ports if I fires the ports out the top of the box or out the sides. However theirs less than 2" of space between the sides and top of the box and my cars walls. So I assume that won't work. Which leaves me with either the front or the rear of the box for the ports to shoot out. On the front of the box I can only fit either 1 6 or 2 4's due to the shape of the box and the width of the subs. On the back of the box i suppose i could fit as many as I wanted but they would need to be under 17" as my box is only 18" deep. But wouldn't it not work with subs mounted shooting to the front and ports firing to the back?

Archived