Head unit smoked? Help..

21 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

Since you say you dont drop below 13v (which is amazing for so much load on a stock alt) then this shouldn't be a problem however what i was attempting to point out is sometimes the OEM line from the fusebox to the battery can have enough voltage drop to give your cabin electronics issues.

It could very well be the unit too, alpine does not have the same quality as before. If you are 100% positive your wiring & amps are still properly functional then its pointing to the stereo (which is no surprise for me).

i dont really ever push my stereo hard. when i did have it turned up on a heavy bass song i saw 13.1 at my bass stage. i had the s920hd since 2014 in this truck and randomly smoked. so i was thinking ok this is weird maybe it just committed suicide on me. so i found a deal on another one. checked all my harness wires and connections nothing was burned everything looked great. plugged the new unit in and it ran good for about 10 min. then smoked itself. so there is an issue somewhere but im just not sure how to find it

19 hours ago, MotorCityFats13 said:

are you using an amp for your mids/highs? If not how many speakers are you running and how long did the system work before the problem first happened....... my only 2 ideas would be you are running the HU well below the 4 ohm load or one of your speaker leads are grounding out and there is no protect feature on the HU's you been using

I have ran many HU's off of old 12vdc drill batteries until they shut off and never smoked a single unit from under voltage

yes i have my bass stage amp and my mids and highs are amped. its a Skar 125.4. i have focal ps165 in the front and the 5.25 in the rear. so i have no speakers runn ing off of the HU. ive had the this setup as is for about 1.5 years.

1 hour ago, Ratski said:

i dont really ever push my stereo hard. when i did have it turned up on a heavy bass song i saw 13.1 at my bass stage. i had the s920hd since 2014 in this truck and randomly smoked. so i was thinking ok this is weird maybe it just committed suicide on me. so i found a deal on another one. checked all my harness wires and connections nothing was burned everything looked great. plugged the new unit in and it ran good for about 10 min. then smoked itself. so there is an issue somewhere but im just not sure how to find it

Lets take a look at whats connected, (12V/ACC/REMOTE/GND) & 3 pairs of RCA's.

Are you using a bypass module for the parking/foot brake wires? if so you'll need to make sure its working properly/not defective. 

If your amps feed back enough current to smoke a stereo through the rca's then you WILL protect and/or hear a pop,whine ect during the fault or at the very minimum the faulty input will not play. 

I'll assume your voltage regulator is good, these can also fail intermittently but you would most likely notice it with other things.

If you seriously end up scratching your head and dont want to risk burning up another double din then I'd start by scoring a free/cheap unit and use it to test with a process of elimination. Start with just the wire harness, then the sub amp, then the front channel ect...

23 hours ago, slowfkncar said:

Lets take a look at whats connected, (12V/ACC/REMOTE/GND) & 3 pairs of RCA's.

Are you using a bypass module for the parking/foot brake wires? if so you'll need to make sure its working properly/not defective. 

If your amps feed back enough current to smoke a stereo through the rca's then you WILL protect and/or hear a pop,whine ect during the fault or at the very minimum the faulty input will not play. 

I'll assume your voltage regulator is good, these can also fail intermittently but you would most likely notice it with other things.

If you seriously end up scratching your head and dont want to risk burning up another double din then I'd start by scoring a free/cheap unit and use it to test with a process of elimination. Start with just the wire harness, then the sub amp, then the front channel ect...

yes i have a bypass for my parking brake for the video to work while in motion. also have a steering wheel control thing. which i did notice when i hooked up the next HU that the steering wheel controls did not work. so the head units still power on but i dont think they will work anymore. the sound went to shit real quick after the smoke. the first time i heard a loud pop through my subs.

Archived