Head unit smoked? Help..

Hey all. So here's my situation.. I have an alpine s920hd, I was driving along and all of a sudden my head unit poured smoke out and the music stopped. I wasn't sure so I took it all apart checked all my connections  searched out all wires and nothing is burnt, found a nice used one and bought it hooked it up and it worked fine. Then the same thing. Wtf. Anyone run into this in the past? Ideas? It's in my 06 chevy Silverado 2500hd. I'm running a soar audio for my highs and an sq3500 for my bass stage. Focal highs, all my charging and wiring is sufficient 

Make sure your amp grounds are good. If not then they might be using the RCA shield for ground.

91 C350 Centurion conversion ( Four Door One Ton Bronco)

250A Alternator (Second Alternator Coming Soon)

G65 AGM Up Front  / Two G31 AGM in Back

Pioneer 80PRS

CT Sounds AT125.2 / CT Sounds 6.5 Strato Pro component Front Stage

CT Sounds AT125.2 / Lanzar Pro 8" coax w/compression horn tweeter Rear Fill

FSD 5000D 1/2 ohm (SoundQubed 7k Coming Soon)

Two HDS315 Four Qubes Each 34hz (Two HDC3.118 and New Box Coming Soon)

so i checked all my grounds and all are in great shape. I have searched and searched, one guy said if the power antenna rubs the case it will smoke it. i dont have a power antenna though. im kinda at a loss. i have smoked two head units. now im gonna be going on my third. my plan is to rip out all the harness and plugs and totally start over , but if i dont know the root of the problem it will most likely just smoke another one. i also have to do a recone on one of my subs. fml

On 7/14/2017 at 4:07 PM, slowfkncar said:

Explain your electrical system a little more. What alt? What voltages do you see? Where are you reading voltage from? Did the head unit dim during heavy bass? What was the model of the other unit that smoked?

stock alt. i have 4 batteries. 2 under the hood 2 in the bed. all 4 have a dedicated run of 1/0 and a 1/0 ground. my body is grouded down the frame with 2 4/0 grounds. i have checked my voltages at the alt, each battery and both amps. all good. 12.75 resting and various when running depending on loading. never anything under 13. both head units where the same. alpine s920hd. never any dimming under heavy bass on my unit. had this unit for 3 years or so and randomly smoked one day. 

On 7/14/2017 at 10:46 PM, 06RTCharger said:

Would putting a fuse on ur power wire for the headunit help out to prevent smokin up? U can atleast protect it while u try to find the issue. When the fuse blows u know it happened again. Goodluck man

yea i would imagine that would do it. i will have to look the unit up a bit and see what size fusing i should use. i think im going to get another head unit and start from scratch. tear it all apart from square one

1 hour ago, Ratski said:

stock alt. i have 4 batteries. 2 under the hood 2 in the bed. all 4 have a dedicated run of 1/0 and a 1/0 ground. my body is grouded down the frame with 2 4/0 grounds. i have checked my voltages at the alt, each battery and both amps. all good. 12.75 resting and various when running depending on loading. never anything under 13. both head units where the same. alpine s920hd. never any dimming under heavy bass on my unit. had this unit for 3 years or so and randomly smoked one day. 

Since you say you dont drop below 13v (which is amazing for so much load on a stock alt) then this shouldn't be a problem however what i was attempting to point out is sometimes the OEM line from the fusebox to the battery can have enough voltage drop to give your cabin electronics issues.

It could very well be the unit too, alpine does not have the same quality as before. If you are 100% positive your wiring & amps are still properly functional then its pointing to the stereo (which is no surprise for me).

are you using an amp for your mids/highs? If not how many speakers are you running and how long did the system work before the problem first happened....... my only 2 ideas would be you are running the HU well below the 4 ohm load or one of your speaker leads are grounding out and there is no protect feature on the HU's you been using

I have ran many HU's off of old 12vdc drill batteries until they shut off and never smoked a single unit from under voltage

Archived