Second Skin Audio

Help with ported eclosure

cleto13

I'm new to the site, I'm trying to figure out the right way to build my enclosure. So here's what I'm working with...  I've got 2 Kicker L7 15's and a Rockford T2000.1 going in my 2010 Ram 1500 4 door. Ive had lots of different setups, and I've removed the back seat and i have a platform for a basic rectangular box. I absolutely want a ported box tuned somewhere between 32hz and 36hz. I've heard people argue about 32hz being too low for L7's and vise versa, so I'm open to suggestions on the frequency. Personally I prefer my bass as low as possible, but if a couple hz means more thunder thats just fine. I'm thinking that the subs will fire into the back of the front seats with a port blowing between them pointing forward just like the subs. That being said, I'm willing to set it up however is needed for optimum performance. I've tried using online design programs and calculators, but I have a lot of trouble understanding the info they give. I'm great at woodwork, but the math for a ported enclosure is a bit beyond my understanding lol so I'm hoping someone can chime in and help me out with a good blueprint for my application. this is what i have to work with, and I need my width and depth to stay the same while the height can be anything.Width=60" Depth=16.5"  Can anyone help me out? Thanks in advance guys!! 

Also is there a good online and/or free program you guys would recommend to design a ported enclosure? A good write-up on how to design enclosures would also be very helpful, something that can teach a noob exactly how to do the calculations and tuning to design a ported enclosure would be awesome. I'd like to learn how to do this stuff myself so I don't have to bother the experts anymore! Thanks!

I like winisd online. its a pretty reliable program I have used for 15 years. easy to figure out. simple.

DB DRAG PSYCHLONE PRO 156.3 30 SECOND AVERAGE FO MAX AT 26HZ

LEGAL DASH DRIVER DOOR OPEN 158.0@30 HZ

MY BEST SO FAR, HOPEFULLY A 160 COME FEBUARY.

156.9@26hz  158.0@30hz

I'm still not sure what I'm doing lol Can anyone suggest anything else? I've heard other say that they don't use any programs or software, they just do "the math". What is "the math"? I'm getting so frustrated because I'm actually very good at math and numbers in general, but I've been unsuccessful in finding what sort of math and/or equations I need to follow. Also, I was told a long time ago that when constructing a ported box, the volume of the box and the volume of the port were the critical numbers to get right. So does it matter the HxW of the port? Or can it be whatever you want as long at you end up with the proper volume of the port? Im not doing cylindrical or aero Ports by the way. Can someone give me some examples? Like if I have say 9 cubic ft of box volume for the (2) L7 15's, what port specs would get me tuned to 34hz? Thanks again!

9 hours ago, cleto13 said:

I'm still not sure what I'm doing lol Can anyone suggest anything else? I've heard other say that they don't use any programs or software, they just do "the math". What is "the math"? I'm getting so frustrated because I'm actually very good at math and numbers in general, but I've been unsuccessful in finding what sort of math and/or equations I need to follow. Also, I was told a long time ago that when constructing a ported box, the volume of the box and the volume of the port were the critical numbers to get right. So does it matter the HxW of the port? Or can it be whatever you want as long at you end up with the proper volume of the port? Im not doing cylindrical or aero Ports by the way. Can someone give me some examples? Like if I have say 9 cubic ft of box volume for the (2) L7 15's, what port specs would get me tuned to 34hz? Thanks again!

There really aren't any short and easy answers.  

With any ported box, as you increase the net volume you get more output around the tuning frequency, however you mechanical power handling decreases.  Also if you make the box too big you can end up with a peaky frequency response.  The trick is to find a balance considering how you want the system to sound, what your goals are, and how much power you will be running.  The manufacturers recommendations are a good place to start.  

When it comes to determining port area, how much you need is largely determined by the size of the box, how many watts you will be running, and what your tuning frequency is.  I made a calculator that gives pretty good results, you can see it here: https://goo.gl/STAv4p

Once you know your box net volume, port area, and desired tuning frequency there are several apps or online calculators that will tell you how long the port needs to be.  One example would be Torres Box Calculator.  If you want to get into the math, here is the formula I use: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/misc/portcal.htm

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok so I went to see my audio guy who has never disappointed me, and he designed a box for me. I'd like to see what you guys think before I start ripping MDF. And just to remind y'all, I've got (2) solobaric L7 15's and a RF T2000.1bd. My box is made of 3/4" MDF. 

Dmensions are 60" wide, 26" tall, and 16" deep (outside measurements). That should be 11.7cu ft NET. Port is L-shape 4" wide, 24.5" tall, and 26" long. 4" square brace in the middle. That should be tuned to 22hz. 

Thoughts???

I come up with about 10.1 cu ft net, tuned to about 26 Hz.  I think those specs should work fine though.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

i recommend double baffle.

fisigggg.JPEG?raw=1 Crossfire_Car_Audio2_265_zpsd219cf51.PNG ablogo_zps4c550ed1.PNG?raw=1 download%204_zpsecsgajxi.JPG?raw=1 Audison-Logo_zps3f7b2a7f.JPG?raw=1 sundown_bg2_zps1d0951fc.JPG?raw=1 orionsmalllogosig_zpsf8d08612.PNG?raw=1 KaptionLogo_zps06c2a555.JPG?raw=1 

I RREEALLY ANGRY WIT U PHOTOBUCKET. HAD TO USE DROPBOX NOW HOLYYYYYY.

Wanna ride bikes?

On 9/16/2017 at 3:28 AM, Jake Pace said:

Oh i know how a 12v system works I did take 3 years of electronics in High school hands on and some in college and also worked on cars in college an always got A's to B's in each class. 

But oh well enough dealing with ppl who have probably not even lived as long as ive been into electronics!

On 7/8/2013 at 4:01 AM, Banshee421 said:

Do horns get low

Archived