Sonic Electronix

Audio cutting out at high volume

I have an 84 Dodge Ramcharger with a simple system I think it might be one of those pre bought pioneer kit with head unit and 4 speakers. It was in it when I bought the truck. I wanted more bass so i bought a very simple MTX terminator kit, single 12. I am young and didn't want to have to deal with matching amp/sub/box and all that so I bought the kit and put it in It sounds good but if i turn it up very loud all of the audio cuts out. I think it might be the battery/alternator combo or maybe the wires to the head unit. If the engine is off it will play at a quiet but turning it up to any enjoyable volume when the bass hits it cuts out. With the engine on it will get much louder but still cuts out with a lot of bass. Any help is appreciated thanks

Sounds like your voltage is getting too low. Or your remote wire could be shaking loose with the rattling. What amplifier do you have? Put up some pics of all connections so we can review.

Get a multimeter and check your voltage while playing.

The L@zy Hoe

2005 Chevy Tahoe

2,500 Watts of Highs/Mids

4 10 midrange

4 6.5 midwoofers

4 Tweeters

6 Supertweeters

2 Lithium 80AH Batteries

24K Watts

4 Custom 18s

Quad alt setup Rebuilt 250amp and 3 370s

Interior work by Lone Star Auto Works

The Build Log

Like Loud Bass? Click Here!

On 12/5/2014 at 8:06 PM, juan777 said:

See yall there, I'll be the drunk Mexican with aviators on.

On 12/6/2014 at 10:32 PM, boom50cal said:

I did see Juan LMFAO! He REALLY WAS the drunk mexican with Aviators on!

The 'kit?' i have is this https://www.mtx.com/tnp112d-mtx-car-subwoofer-enclosure-and-amplifier I just wanted easy to get in, i didn't want to waste forever parting together a system. I will get some pics tomorrow but I would think with just the remote wire coming loose it would just lose audio to the sub, this cuts out all audio. The voltage stays relatively normal but does drop and the problem seems to get worse after listening for a while with the engine off. When bass hits the voltage will go down a little but will recover to the voltage it was before in a couple seconds or so, like i said it does drop after longer periods of listening though. The wiring job on the speakers seems shoddy could it be a ground somewhere? I am about to take my engine out of the truck and would not mind re wiring everything if that might be the problem.

Anyway thanks for your help again.

2 main things to check for in the case of your head unit:

1. Blown / shorted speaker or connection

2. Vdrop at head unit. In particular - check factory grounds. 

Archived