Second Skin Audio

can someone verify if this design works and is accurate?

akuma4u

9 hours ago, akuma4u said:

hey triticum thanks for that!... the port area on this design is 42sq in so it just clears the minimum port area amount which i found using your very useful port area calculator.. i do have another design i made using torres .. can u put that into sketchup as well and tell me what you get for net volume.. port length and tuning? based on those results, compare which design you think would yield better results in output and sq and then i will go ahead and build it. Thank you for your help and time. here is the other design: (im trying to aim for the lowest tuning possible but due to the fact i want as much port area as possible AND i have limited space.. the tuning is hard to get under 37hz.. unless u have a special trick that can get it lower whilst keeping the port area at the minimum amount as per your calculator.)

That layout will give you a net volume of 1.72 cu ft and an estimated tuning of 36 Hz.

As far as which design is "better".  It depends on what you want to do.  The first box will have a little more output (like 2 dB) around 40 hz due to its slightly larger net volume and higher tuning.  The second box will play a few Hz lower.  If it were me, I'd go with the second design. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Ok perfect. The only thing i need to know now is the actual physical port length of each design. You stated the first design was 28.5 but im not sure if that is the physical port length or the line down the middle? 

Thanks

2 hours ago, akuma4u said:

Ok perfect. The only thing i need to know now is the actual physical port length of each design. You stated the first design was 28.5 but im not sure if that is the physical port length or the line down the middle? 

Thanks

The 28.5 is the effective port length, the length of the port measured down the center line.  

Here is how long the panels will need to be:

image.png.9805a5dcd5e700ab5720d57689d2bb75.png

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."

Builds:

1 hour ago, akuma4u said:

Thank you. So for 2nd design panels need to be 10.25 and 20. 

In case i decide to so the first design, how long would those panels need to be? 

10" & 13.5"

Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

pretty upset.. i had the box made then found out the depth of the sub is too big 11.25 inches and did not fit.. so now i need to redesign so that there is at least half an inch or an inch between the port panel and the magnet. My original zv3 had an 8.75 inch depth and it would have been ok but since sundown sent me new parts and a new frame.. it increased the depth by almost 3 inches! i was unaware of this.

basically the Port 1 piece needs to be as long as possible... but with keeping a 3.25 wide port and 15.25 depth it will be hard..

can someone see if they can pull it off?

my max dimensions 13.5 high x 32 wide x 15.25 wide (i can add a .75 circular ring on the outside of the box to add .75 depth)

im hoping to keep tuning 36-38hz range if possible

If the port was changed to run back and forth along one side (labyrinth style), instead of back and then along and rear panel, you should have all the depth you need.   The 180 degree turns in the port are undesirable, but I don't think you have much choice. 

Builds:

48 minutes ago, Triticum Agricolam said:

If the port was changed to run back and forth along one side (labyrinth style), instead of back and then along and rear panel, you should have all the depth you need.   The 180 degree turns in the port are undesirable, but I don't think you have much choice. 

i have never heard or seen this type of enclosure and have no idea how to design it.. so i would need a design to pass over to the guy who builds the box for me.. umm are u able to hook me up with a design? (i can toss u some $ for the time and help just PM me your details) as long as i can hit the minimum port area as per your calculator ill be happy.. also if possible the original max dimensions of 13.5 high x 32 wide x 15 deep would be preferred

also,. in what way is it undesirable? i guess the air doesnt flow as smoothly as it would with an L shaped port? more port noise? less output?

note: my sub was originally a 12 in zv3 d2 but the foam roll cracked so i got upgraded parts , which now makes my sub a frankenstein sub.. i am not aware of the t/s parameters .. so since its made up of so many different parts from different models i dont think the original zv3 12 parameters carry over..here is what the new sub has in it maybe you need this info when designing the labryinth enclosure.

2dsphxt.jpg

48 minutes ago, akuma4u said:

i have never heard or seen this type of enclosure and have no idea how to design it.. so i would need a design to pass over to the guy who builds the box for me.. umm are u able to hook me up with a design? (i can toss u some $ for the time and help just PM me your details) as long as i can hit the minimum port area as per your calculator ill be happy.. also if possible the original max dimensions of 13.5 high x 32 wide x 15 deep would be preferred

also,. in what way is it undesirable? i guess the air doesnt flow as smoothly as it would with an L shaped port? more port noise? less output?

Like this:

image.png.e2da215a8307041ffbdaf23cfbd63c67.png

The labyrinth port is undesirable due to all the 180 degree turns compared to one 90 degree turns.  It impedes airflow.  The 45s in the corners will help.  

Builds:

Archived