Second Skin Audio

Downfire Sub Enclosure

Stephen B

First I'll start off by saying thank you to Steve Meade and all of you guys for the wealth of information and the Knowledge that I have learned from you all. You guys are extremly dedicated and smart. I have made a few boxes already and want to make another. I've learned to Kerf and figured out my porting and internal issues. Ok, so the new box will be a downfire ported enclusure with 2 plexi windows with 2 T2D412's powered by a T1500-1Bdcp. The enclosure will be behind the 3rd row, because I want to get my seats back. I have figured out the angles and everything already, the question is should I put my port in the bottom middle front of the box near the rear door or in the bottom middle back near the seats? I'm going to move all of my amps and make a rack with leds on the top. I don't want to port out of the middle front because it's too close to the rear door. Any ideas from experience are appreciated. I attached a picture of the start the other is of my last box. The small square is gonna be my port. Thanks guys. 

Downfirebox.jpg

20171223_120136-1328x747.jpg

20180117_134306-530x419.jpg

In an SUV, if it were me, I would most definitely fire the port at the rear hatch. Subs up port back has seemed to be the best in my experience. Whether the port be at the bottom, side, middle or top, I don’t think it matters as much as it does in which direction such as the port firing at the hatch or at seat back...

Thank you for responding. I know my last box was awesome with port back. I dropped my 3rd row and moved it away from the rear door. With the seats up on the 3rd row, I only have 13 inches from the top of the slanted seat. It's 16 inches on the bottom. I'm going to angle the box to contour with the seat to get more air space. I'm at 4cubes for the box exactly. Lol the rear door is about an inch or less from the box. I don't have enough room for the port to sit that close to the door. I wanted to do a kerf port in the middle near the door but I don't think that's far enough away without tons of rattling and probably choking it. Here is a picture of the space. I like making sub boxes and I'm trying something new. It was only $40 for the mdf and supplys. 

20180206_181015-1413x675.jpg

How much port area is that?  Looks kinda small to me, but looks can be deceiving. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

12 minutes ago, Stephen B said:

It's a 6inwide x 4inch deep x 10 inch long. Box is 41 3/4 x 18 x 16 bottom x 13 top angled back. Tuned to 32.49hz

Might I suggest a larger port?  Yours is 24 sq in, which is WAY too small for a 4 cu ft box on 1500 watts.  You are going to get significant port noise/loss of output around the tuning frequency.  

For what you want to do, 40 sq in would be the absolute minimum, and 55 sq in would be much better.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived