Second Skin Audio

Why no highs?

SanDiegoSlapper

so i built my first box with a buddy of mine a few months ago for my denali. ported box tuned to 38hz(honestly seems like its peaks more around 35-36 tho). put a skar zvxV2 15" in there on a cab16000 amp. im not sure of the exact dimensions, but will post those in the am when i can find my measuring tape.

now i know skar suggest to tune it to 33hz but i went with 38hz hoping to be able to play some regular unedited hiphop/rap music and even some elec/dubstep. first question i guess is how important is it to tune it to that suggested frequency?

with that being said, let me point out that i have VERYYY little luck playing in to any hiphop/rap music that wasnt produced with lows/subwoofers in mind, and i really cant touch any electric music or anything of that sort. i was kind of like what ever at first, downloaded all the decaf zips and learned how to rebass my own music, adding in generated 30-42hz tones in audacity. its starting to get a bit of a bummer tho that everyone that hops in my car wants to play that one song they always wanted to listen to on a good system cant because i litteraly cant pick up any notes over 47hz. even 45 sounds like shit with zero "feel" to it. just a flat annoying tone. but again, i just tell myself "ehh i guess thats just the way it is with these big power subs"

but after watching tons of videos on youtube videos and what not, im begining to feel like its not "just the way it is" and that maybe i messed up somewhere in the design of the box. i see these guys playing decaf rumbling in to the low 30's, while switching it up and playing some unedited hiphop and electric getting those jaw rattling, eye twitching 45+hz's

so my main question is, is it normal to not be able to play in to these types of genres with my setup, or should i easily still be able to play some of these songs with a standard ported box.

not sure if im allowed to link youtube links, but i so i can put of some of the songs im looking at playing in to.

LAST BUT NOT LEAST. of the seams on my box ended up blowing out last week, lack of glue maybe, or not enough nails not sure. glued and drilled it temporarily, and will now be building a new box, hence the reason for this long rant/questions. if it seems like it was just a flaw in my original design, then looking at doing another standard port box, but if its looking like its going to be "the way it is" ordeal, then im just going to go ahead and build a bandpass box. so another question: is there any major draw backs to going bandpass over a regular port box? i REALLY do love the 35-45 range soo any suggestion u guys might have would be much appreciated. also thinking of purchasing a second zvx seeing as i have TONS of room to work with in the back of a denali with the entire 3rd row of seats removed

1. tuning isnt where the box will peak in a vehicle due to cabin gain

2. big subs can sound as good as any, it comes down to the box 99% of the time. A bad box will make a great sub perform poorly, and a good box can make a bad sub perform pretty well. Sounds like the box itself might just not be a good fit for the sub or vehicle.

29408240963_9908a51930_o.png
Best Score to Date : 160.5 dB Outlaw (47Hz)[4 XM 15's & 2 Taramps Bass 12k's]

BL :  http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/147800-chevyboy95s-4-15s-7krms-wall-1533-db-on-half-power/
YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/hitemwiththeflex/

yea its really starting to seem that way. anything above 45 hz is just a buzzing noise with this box. after a long all nighter of lots of reading and research, decided to go with a 6th order bandpass. somewhere in the 33hz range for low side and 60hz on high side. not sure if i did my math right if someone is able to double check me, but it looks like 4cft-33hz low side and 1.6cft-60hz high side is working in winsd with semi flat response. For some reason the perimeters for the ZVX15 were acting a lil funky in win isd. not sure if thats normal, but some of the value didnt auto-calculate correctly. i just backspaced all the incorrectly auto-calculated values and manually put in everything from the website tho.

if anyone is willing to give some help on a design or tuning, it would be GREATLY appreciated and ur help will not go to waste. this will actually be built within the next few days, unlike 90% of the people on here asking for box designs just to never even do them.

isdtesting.png

starting to wonder if the perimeters and values given on the skar audio site are incorrect for the ZVX-v2 15". idk tho, still new with WINisd, just find it very weird that every other sub i put in i can get to the 6+db range, but with the ZVX values i cant get above 2.25db unless i put like 5+cft of box space on BOTH sides of the sub.

u can see here the red and green are a Skar EVL 15, but the blue is the ZVX 15. am i only looking for the "curve" here or should i be getting that bitch up in to the 6+ db's?

like i mentioned earlier, when putting in the values listed on the website, winisd will INCORRECTLY auto-predict cross checking values. but with every other sub i put in, it will correctly cross check for me.

inconval.png

Skar has been known lie about T/S parameters. I would suspect the box is the biggest issue. A ported box acts sealed an octave above tuning unless the box has leaks or is poorly deisgned. I think going to a 4th would just make more issues as they are harder to tune and get right.

after some inspection and measuring, it very much seems like it was the box design. port is 4" wide, 14.5" tall, and 25.5" long. on what i believe is 4cft. if i remember correctly. i think the port was supposed to be somewhere in the 20-21" range

so how would i go about finding these proper t/s parameters?

and its very much looking like im going to be building a 6th order. i dont mind failing, as long as i can learn something. willing to pump out 3 to 4 boxes in attempts to get it right, and just a learning experience in general, before im willing to just pay someone else to do it.

let me grab a few pics of the first 2 box's i built in hopes that maybe people can take me a lil me seriously if u can see im really taking attention to detail and trying to do thing correctlys, not just throw shit together like some 16 year old punk. i know its hard to get taken seriously, or not just be looked at as a complete idiot on these forums with how many of them flood in from time to time. escpecially in this enclosure section where i seen people spend load of time and effort to help someone design something, to then see it get slapped together like its entering a 6th grade science fair. so im sure people are weary to even attempt to help me. but please i assure, this WILL be built, and will be built with attention and care. so please any help any one might be able to give would be VERY much appreciated. 1: where do i start about finsding the proper T/s for me subs as it seems the website is off, 2: if anyones willing to help with the design of the 6th order, it would be more appreciated then i could put in to words

Archived