Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

Transmission line enclosure for DD 6,5" test and results


Haakon

Recommended Posts

Posted

Just thought I'd share this little project I'm running at the moment. 

A few years back I made a very basic T-line enclosure from a small Focal 5" woofer I had laying around. I used to have four of them in a sealed box, but I popped one, and sold two. So I had one left. Much to my surprise the single woofer in a T-line outperformed all of the four I had earlier, both in depth, loudness and impact. Sounded really nice too! But a single 5" is still a single 5"...

Move on a few years, I thought I'd experiment a bit more but with a more capable driver, yet smaller than just about anyone is using. I bought a new DD 506 (redline) woofer, and relying on the supplied parameters; i made a tapered T-line box for it, using this very simple calculator found here: http://www.mh-audio.nl/tml.asp

You just input the SD and FS on the driver, and the height of the box, and it does the rest. Very basic, but useful as a starting point. I built the quarterwave one (classic tuning). 

Internals of enclosure, 22mm MDF:

post-38574-0-35722000-1518973376.thumb.jpg.eca730426b2de115377cab19b414cdae.jpg

 

The subwoofer driver:

post-38574-0-12885900-1518973408.thumb.jpg.07aba8686f41ff94114b996eb63feb82.jpg

Box in car:

post-38574-0-69713800-1518973425.thumb.jpg.99a73c1788d5474232ff5a05535a384e.jpg

This was done just a day after I built it, so possibly more to come later on. Not a burp either, just playing some random music with added bass. I think this was a Pink Floyd song with a pretty strong 44hz bass note added :D

post-38574-0-67936000-1518973441.thumb.png.7d9423cd484cb4087ef63ac3392e82d6.png

I do have lots of power on tap, way more than the woofer can handle mechanically in this box (can get it to bottom out pretty easily), running a Helix SPXL1000 at 2ohms (about 1200w rms)

But very impressed with this little woofer in this box ?

 

Thanks for looking! 

Posted

That’s a great little sub and impressive numbers for one 6.5.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

  • 11 months later...
Posted

Hi..

Nice work,

where did you get the Sd value, it isnt listed anywhere in DD audio's Homepage?

I want to try out the Tline design my self, but im not familier to find the sd value my self

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 444 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...