Second Skin Audio

Ported enclosure for 2 Skar VD10D4

Dajulez

Greetings all,

Looking for advice on enclosure measurements for 2 skar vd10's. I have an 02 ford focus wagon. I'm building a ported enclosure for sound quality. I would like it to play as even as possible as well as low. Though i have a wagon, i also have kids and activities, so the space i'm working with is about 34'Wx16'Dx15'H. I've traded box work for a couple of subs i wasn't using and the guy doing the box work has suggested a box with Net volume of 2.5 ft^3 with the port measuring 10Hx1.25W and 20.125L. Tuning is around 35hz. Does this sound right? I've run this through WinIsd and i wish the modeling showed it would play louder lower. Amp is Skar Lp1000.1d.  Also, not sure about the TS parameters for the VD10d4 i.e. the skar site shows different parameters than sonicelectronix. The below sub parameters are from the skar site.  Please let me know if i have left out any needed info. Super kind thanks in advance.

• Skar Audio VD-10 D4 - 10" Shallow Mount Car Subwoofer
  • Dual 4 Ohm Voice Coil Configuration
  • Peak Power : 800 Watts
  • RMS Power : 500 Watts
  • Pressed Paper Cone
  • High Roll Foam Surround
  • 2" High Temperature Copper Voice Coil
  • Frequency Response : 45 - 500 Hz
  • Sensitivity : 85.1 dB
  • Fs : 41.9 Hz
  • Re : 7.1 Ohms
  • Qms : 4.20
  • Qes : 0.42
  • Qts : 0.42
  • Nref : 0.20 %
  • Cms : 0.10 mm/N
  • Bl : 17.2 n/a
  • Vas : 17.2 L
  • Xmax : 11 mm

We did a build for 2 of these in a 63 c-10 sealed behind the seat on a skar sk1500.1 at .5 ohm, and they sounded great! Since you are running the 1000 at 1 ohm, I would suggest going a little bigger than the recommended 1.25 cubes per. I personally would go with 3 cubes for the pair and have the port area per foot in the 13-14 range.  

www.LowHertzCarAudio.com

IG: LowHertzCarAudio

Facebook: Low Hertz Car Audio

www.lowhertzcaraudio.com

• 2015 Top Dog Champion
  • Limitless Lithium West Coast Warehouse 

From the specs suggested to you 2.5 net @ 35 Hz  would be OK where it goes wrong is port area 10x1.25 = 12.5, it should be like 16 square inches per driver or 32 square inches for both on rated power,  since it's a larger vehicle and smaller low power subs you may not get loud enough, at the risk of being peakier you might want to try 3@34 with 34 square inches of port for improved output.

So here is a suggestion, very close to your max dims, power: to sub(s) rated, amp subsonic filter to 31 Hz, minimum port clearance 2  3/4", figure is just an assembly guide:

NOTE: box is subs up / port back, best if the box is placed close to the rear gate.

Skar_VD-10.jpg

T.Port_E1.jpg

Archived