Is My new 225amp Alt not working properly?

Hello, Just got back into Car audio after 15years. I just acquired a new whip for HWY driving and want a great all-round system so I'm running about 1500watts and recently upgraded my Battery to a Yellow top Optima 34/78, 1/0 gauge power wire and upgraded my 2G ford 65amp alternator with a Tough Stuff 225amp 3G alternator. It is wired up with some 2ga Powerwire and the factory 10ga wires are also hooked up to the same alternator terminal. when I measure the main 2ga wire with an DC clamp meter it just measures about 10amps, it increases when I turn on the headlights and I see it also go up to 50-60 amps as I turn up the volume and play a bass heavy song. Is this normal for an alternator to put out power this way? However when the volume is a turned up 50-75%, the interior lights dim quite a bit and when a song comes on, the woofer blast very powerful but then mellows out after that first hit.

Right now I'm running a Punch 801s bridged and a Punch 400.4 4 channel. I don't like my ported box as much as I hoped so I just bought 3 older RFR2210 10" subs on eBay and will be building a sealed box and replace my main amp with a 1500w version like a t1500bd or BD1500.1 so my problem are only going to increase.

I don't have a second battery or Caps installed but as it is right now, you would think with a 225amp alternator and a Optima yellow top, I should not have these problems.

If anyone could chime in with similar experience, I would greatly appreciate it. 

41202536631_86edec8148_h.jpgGrand Marquise by alex barbour, on Flickr

40488160484_2761c3593a_k.jpgIMG_2610 by alex barbour, on Flickr

27328399518_362e7df676_k.jpgIMG_2605 by alex barbour, on Flickr

this comment is biased i have never heard of tough stuff and i am pointing fingers at it

i noticed the wire coming from the alternator is very small i suggest upgrading to a thicker wire

skar sk2500.1
0 gauge power and ground kunukonceptz
alpine HU
vxi65 components on BA gt-275
new build log -> http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/150642-project-d-kon-deathcards-build-log/#entry2148821
2 x-15 sundowns

singer alt, odyssey bat, and maxwell ultra caps

The two wires you're referring to are the factory OEM wires but right below it, there is a 2GA wire connected that runs straight to the Optima. Tuff Stuff is a very known Company that deals mostly in the Hot Rod world, They are from Ohio and make everything in-house.

Alternators don't always make peak power all the time, they only make power if there's demand, if something is drawing the power. With that being said, I've never heard of this company and from the pictures the stator winding looks like on a regular stock alternator, not hairpin style like Mechman and Singer high output alts. How much did you pay for it? I bet it was pretty cheap, like 200$ or something.

That Optima is also pretty small. I would go with the biggest AGM you can fit under the hood and see how that works.

Archived