LoudPackRacing Posted April 13, 2018 Report Posted April 13, 2018 I have a 1980 firebird with a system I installed in it some months ago and I am trying to figure out why it isn’t loud enough. So far I have the following: headunit: JVC Kd-ar755 front speakers: Hertz Ecx 4” rear: Image Dynamics ID69 amp: Precision power p900.4 power and ground wire: Sky high OFC 4 gauge
bcbrassard Posted April 13, 2018 Report Posted April 13, 2018 Do you have any pics of install? Did you do any prep in the stock location of the speakers? If not you could be losing output do to it. I would take some pictures and post on here to help. Lots of variables, HU output and tuning. How where the amp gains set? What are the crossover points of the speakers. 4" are good for midrange and highs with little to no midbass. If your best speakers are in the rear that won't help your front stage. Car audio is a science anymore, its hard to throw speakers and a amp in to get loud or sound good. More members will chime in and assist the best they can but pics always help.
LoudPackRacing Posted April 13, 2018 Author Report Posted April 13, 2018 2 hours ago, bcbrassard said: Do you have any pics of install? Did you do any prep in the stock location of the speakers? If not you could be losing output do to it. I would take some pictures and post on here to help. Lots of variables, HU output and tuning. How where the amp gains set? What are the crossover points of the speakers. 4" are good for midrange and highs with little to no midbass. If your best speakers are in the rear that won't help your front stage. Car audio is a science anymore, its hard to throw speakers and a amp in to get loud or sound good. More members will chime in and assist the best they can but pics always help. The front speakers are built into the dash. That’s one of the problems. I’m trying to keep the speakers in the factory location. I wouldn’t know where to start with the sound deadener do to the speaker locations. I was thinking maybe I need a new headunit.
bcbrassard Posted April 13, 2018 Report Posted April 13, 2018 I looked at the manual of that HU and the one thing i seen was that you can't change the HPF to the front & rear speakers. Looks like it's adjustable but does front and rear at the same time where a newer HU would have more tuning options. I now 100% sure its a HU problem and you should be able to use the amps crossovers to adjust front and rear better. Speaker location and no deadening or controlling the sound waves is most likely the issue. I googled kick panel speaker pods and it looks like there are a few after market models out there ranging from $190 - 300 a pair you could try. Run the 4" off HU power and amplify new speakers in the kick panels would help get you louder. As always in this hobby it's about budget and what your willing to spend.
LoudPackRacing Posted April 14, 2018 Author Report Posted April 14, 2018 3 hours ago, bcbrassard said: I looked at the manual of that HU and the one thing i seen was that you can't change the HPF to the front & rear speakers. Looks like it's adjustable but does front and rear at the same time where a newer HU would have more tuning options. I now 100% sure its a HU problem and you should be able to use the amps crossovers to adjust front and rear better. Speaker location and no deadening or controlling the sound waves is most likely the issue. I googled kick panel speaker pods and it looks like there are a few after market models out there ranging from $190 - 300 a pair you could try. Run the 4" off HU power and amplify new speakers in the kick panels would help get you louder. As always in this hobby it's about budget and what your willing to spend. I am on a tight budget a the moment due to being unemployed. But when I do get back to working, I have no budget lol. I was looking into a Pioneer 80prs, it has alot of capabilities . Also where should I install deadener? I’m going to add a sub later down the line so it would make sense to cover the entire trunk, but as far as the front what should I do?
bcbrassard Posted April 14, 2018 Report Posted April 14, 2018 80-PRS are good HU's but most out there now have the ability to make adjustments and tuning easier. You should youtube and google to see what others have done with similar year, make and models. Researching is your best bet, get a budget and build plan together and start buying up goodies. When you have enough to get started attack it, complete it and rock it. Thats about all the advice i can give for now. Make a build log so we can track your progress. I would even start one now with a few pics of what you have and others will chime in with ideas. Good luck.
LoudPackRacing Posted April 14, 2018 Author Report Posted April 14, 2018 12 hours ago, bcbrassard said: 80-PRS are good HU's but most out there now have the ability to make adjustments and tuning easier. You should youtube and google to see what others have done with similar year, make and models. Researching is your best bet, get a budget and build plan together and start buying up goodies. When you have enough to get started attack it, complete it and rock it. Thats about all the advice i can give for now. Make a build log so we can track your progress. I would even start one now with a few pics of what you have and others will chime in with ideas. Good luck. So I wouldn’t even need a 80-prs sense technology has improved? Well that’s good. Once I figure out how to upload pictures I will get a thread started. Thanks for all the help..
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.