Second Skin Audio

Old school stroker is bottoming out

Okay so about a month ago I got nostalgic to my first build when I was 16 I had 2 old school strokers and they kicked like a mule so I got on ebay and found a 12 d4 for $300 bucks ordered it then ordered a soundqubed S12250 to power it wirec to 2 ohms was looking for a second stroker upgrade to 1/0 sky high ofc and the matching big 3 the enclosure is to spec but tuned to 35 hz it works but as soon as I turn it up it bottoms out and I can't for the life of me figure out why I'm wondering if I got screwed first indicators of an aftermarket faulty recone is the terminals are chrome and the ones I had previously were gold then I tested it and the populrity was reversed I emailed fixmyspeaker a week ago but no reply seriously loosing sleep over this is my sub fucked or what any help is appreciated 

They are shit woofers compared to anything of todays standards for subwoofers... 

What you have is a vintage Pro Audio midrange speaker that has 11mm of xmax...... Back in the 70s when the original stroker was designed it was built for movie theaters and pro audio, people just realized that back in the day it was great for going burrrrrrrrrrrrp for 3 seconds.

Back in the 80s and 90s when it was widely used in car audio competitions everything was based around high bass as in 60-100hz and 50hz would be considered low bass. Now days a lot of people will be playing 20hz songs and that still isnt considered low and anything above 60-70hz is left to the midrange speakers to play not the sub.

For that woofer to play 35hz, you cant give it no more than 300 watts rms... Not to mention Im sure the spiders are old and their rebound is gone, I also bet the top spider is most likely not properly set as well. 

In all honesty its not designed to handle that power at such a low frequency period. 

I had a local guy that bought a used one, blew the surrounds off instantly, I reconed that sub a couple times and I told him Im done because its not worth my time every other week because you will never get that nostalgic sound that you thought was hammering back then from the ancient technology when your use to todays standards. 

Case and point when I first started driving I put 2 Rockord Fosgate Punch XLC 12s in my moms minivan with a Orion 4 channel 60watt per channel amp bridged to 2 channels for each sub and a fm modulated sony cd change through the factory ford radio... I always bumped Ja Rule Holla Holla becaus that song just slammed on that system....  

Fast forward 20 some years later I have a tahoe with 20,000 watts, 3 alternators, 18 runs of 1/0 power wire, 7 batters, 4 18s in a 6th order bandpass wall that did a bit over 157 db the last time I metered it... Holla Holla does not even bump a little bit on such a crazy over the top system, but I remember this song being so great so loud... Now there is no way that a pawn shop ghetto rigged system that used cut extension cords for power wire and speaker wire was better than my current system so whats the deal? The deal is that song is all high bass, but back in the day that was considered to be low bass, combined to the crazy over the top system Im use to listening too.
No matter what you do you will never be satisfied with that woofer like you once were so you might as well stop wasting your money and cut your loses, put it on a shelf as a trophy or something.

Geuss you're right just gonna have to get new subs just really remember how big of a smile these subs used to put on my face might go with something from fi or psi that I can put about 2500 rms a piece to daily since I'm getting ready to order another soundqubed s1 2250

4 hours ago, Qiraat said:

I have to say audiofanatics that was a great explanation.

I agree. Tough love! Glad to see OP didn't get all butt hurt either.

2010 Accord Sedan

XS D3400R

Clarion HU

Sundown mids and highs

Incriminator amps

Incriminator Lethal Injection 12"

I mean, I watched the local guy here spend decent money on the old sub, and then spent another $300 reconing the thing multiple time. After you got $500+ into the thing he could of bought a nice new woofer from Fi that would destroy the old Stroker. 
Ive been down similar roads myself and always look back thinking why did I waste so much money on something over and over only never to be happy with it.

I was just hoping to provide some hindsight to maybe save dude a few bucks :D

Thanks bro in all honesty my only problem now is if I should roll with one soundqubed S12250 and push two incriminator death row 18's or still order the second soundqubed S12250 run em bridged and push 2 sq hdc4 18's I just don't want to end up unsatisfied and having to spend more down the line sorry for the late response I work 7 days a week 

Archived