Jump to content
Sonic Electronix

2 batteries in parallel or one big battery under the hood?


Recommended Posts

Posted

Was doing a bit more research on AGM batteries, keep seeing people telling others to recharge the battery with an AGM battery charger and that my alternator isn't a charging source for the battery. Would I have to get a charger if I do get one of those batteries under the hood?

Posted

Not necessarily. The alternator does charge the battery because that's why it's in the car. The battery's job is to provide enough power to start the car, and the alternator's job is to provide power to the vehicle when the engine is on, and also charge the battery so that you can start your engine next time. So it does somewhat charge the battery, but a charger can do it too. You can buy a small Ctek charger like this one:

CTEK MXS 5.0

Also alternators don't make max power if there isn't a huge draw. 

Posted

Charging batts with a charger isnt necessary. If you dont drive the vehicle often alot of people like to use a maintainer but no an agm charger isnt a necessity.

Posted

Ok sweet. And I might get the XS power D3400 because it can fit in the battery holder thing under my hood. If i get the D3100 I would have to get some1 to make that battery holder bigger or something. Thoughts?

Posted

Get wat fits man. D3400 is a good choice. Id recommend another small reserve batt in back. Just so you have a lil juice on hand right at the amps. It also gives you a distribution point for your amps powers and grounds. Maybe a xp950 or xp750? Id say those 2 batts on your stock alt would be good for up to 3k or so in a daily.

Posted

Its your ride and money bro. Get wat u want. If the single batt is good enough then run it. If u find yourself having voltage issues tho an extra reserve will help.

  • 1 month later...
Posted

*UPDATE* Im running all stock alternator and battery and the lowest I've seen the voltage go is 13.1V. I have not touched the gain so it's set as factory but looking to get it set soon but I started noticing a strange smell and I don't know if it's the burning voice coil or not. The dust cap has gotten just a little warm once or twice but that's it. The smell gets stronger as I play high notes like 50Hz-60Hz and my trunk and back seat REEKS of the smell. I just don't know if it's burning the voice coil or if that's the normal sundown SA-12 smell.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 893 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...