Sonic Electronix

2 batteries in parallel or one big battery under the hood?

I have a Ford focus 2013 with everything stock. I'm going to out a sundown sa 12 with the skar audio LP 1000 pushing 1k watts rms. Was wondering if I should run parallel to factory battery and the XS power D975 battery in the trunk. Or should I get one big battery to put under the hood. I don't have money for a better alternator or anything like that. I believe the stock alternator is 150 amps. Not sure what to do

Those amps are great imo. I have 1 with the matching 4 channel and am impressed with both. I have a 136 amp alt with 4 gauge ofc throughout my durango with big 3 and just my stock batt and a smaller kinetik hc600 and my voltage stays good. Around 12.9 full tilt at idle. Id recommend at least 4 gauge ofc. Big 3. And that smaller xs power batt. Itll save you some money and later on you can buy a nice agm batt for the front.

Youll be fine. Just run positive to positive. Fuse about 6 to 8 inches from each batt. Ground the rear batt to a solid ground location.

Mixing wet celled batterys with AGM's  isn't the best practice IMO. From what i understand, and i could be wrong but AGM usually have a higher resting voltage than a wet cell and can lower the AGM and weaken it over time.

Others may chime in to correct me, but if your stock battert isn't a AGM i would go with a new big AGM under the hood and you can always add a second smaller one down the road.

I was just looking at my son's 2011 GMC Sierra he just got. It has stock battery and a second battery tray. I told him i wouldn't mix the two and the stock one needs replaced any how.  Auto parts stores carry good AGM battery's at a decent price. When i did my daughters system (700 watts) i made her buy a big AGM for under the hood, ran her $200 but well worth it. It all starts with the electrical system.

Ive ran a wet cell in the front with an agm in the back for several years now with no issues. Ive ran several vehicles like this. My blazer, honda, and now my durango all for periods of over a few years. No issues. Ever. The resting voltage difference isnt significant enough to harm anything unless number chasing imo. Ive even let them set for up to a week without being started without any issues. Start right up every time. As for longevity the kinetik i have in my durango is over 5 years old. Been ran with a wet cell the whole time. Still goin strong.

Archived