Sonic Electronix

Picked up a JL 10”W7AE for a great deal. Tell me more about it.

So, recently I picked up a JL 10”W7AE brand new still in the box, unused. The guy’s wife got pregnant and he was trying to get cash back for it. Still had recept from purchase date. Etc..

He came to a deal for 300$ cash, a steal from what I see they go for. I tested the resistance, 3 ohms. Inspected it closely, tested it, etc.. Came back legit, called JL and ran the serial number everything was good. So I went ahead with the deal. It was a take it or leave it offer right then and there and I knew the subs were know to be pretty good.

The problem everyone complains about is the price. Well, in my case I don’t think the price was an issue.

So, I’m curious about what this sub is capable of.

What is the best enclosure type?

I have an amp to push it, but I would want a much higher quality amp for this sub. What is the best reccommed amp for this sub?

Is it a good home theater sub? 

Did i even get a good deal, was it worth it? 

I did my research, but the topics about the W7’s are few and slim.

I am posting here for opinion based responses neglecting the price tag.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The W7 is geared towards SPL. So I would throw it in a ported box. Best amp would be one that delivers rated clean power, there are a shit ton of options. I would not recommend for HT use since it is 3 ohm and the FS is kinda high for HT use. 

The only thing I dont like is the 3 ohms impedance. Hard to get good power at 3 ohms...

It's a really good sub. Built a few boxes for it. Buddy has 1. We tried the JL spec ported box and it was good, but a little larger and tuned a little lower sounded much better. Cant remember the specs though. I know we tried a 25hz box and it was too bottom heavy. I think right at 30hz was about right. 

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

Archived