Jump to content
Second Skin Audio

2 Sundown E8's or 1 E12


kriptech

Recommended Posts

Posted

Looking for some advise.. Just got a Subaru BRZ and the sound system is in desperate need of an upgrade! Since I am limited in funds, still in college, I thought i would start with adding a sub since I already have a power acoustik gt2-1800 amp I can use. My question, should I go for two E8's or one E12? I plan on building a ported box and if I'm not mistaken either size sub will need the same size enclosure, 1.75ft cubed. Any help will be greatly appreciated!! also any recommendations for the rest of the speakers??? Thanks...

Posted

A single E12 would be less expensive than two E8s but if you are willing to spend for two E8s better get a SA-12, about the same price and can work on 1.75 net, should get you better output than the E12 and the two E8s.

Posted

+1 to what Joe X said.

Though two 8"s and one 12" sub have roughly the same cone area and box size requirements the single 12" is almost always the better choice due to 12" subs generally having larger excursion capabilities and usually having flatter frequency response. 

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Posted

Modeling comparison:

Red) 2xE-8 1.5@35Hz

Orange) 1xE-12 1.75@35Hz

Yellow) 1xSA-12

3sunvs.jpg

 

From this it can be seen:

1) the single E-12 will produce the flattest response, will be the cheapest option and will have the least power handling, best option for a non loud musical setup.

2) the dual E-8s will produce a very peaky output being very weak away from tuning.

3) the single SA-12 will produce overall best output while not being as peaky as the E-8s and will handle 1K power or more if needed, with output in mind this is the best option, cost comparable to the E-8s.

 

 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 429 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online
×
×
  • Create New...