Second Skin Audio

I think I killed it

Bret

I ran a single P2D2-10 at more than twice the rated power and it lasted quite a few months, but started sounding bad intermittently. When I inspected it I moved the cone with my hand and no rubbing. Both voice coils check out at appox. 2Ohms. I hooked it to a aaa battery and it functions. No visual defects. Anything else I can check before putting this in the dumpster? The  amp is not the problem, I have used it for a year since with no problems. Thanks.

I never thought of building a frankensub. That's a good idea. According to the specs on sonicelectronix there is no recone kit available, but it might be fun to try putting something unique together.

it definitely is.  loads of good advice one here too.  once you get it all broken down and separate the magnet from the basket you can get an accurate bolt pattern measurement and start shopping.  join the 'custom subs & repair & parts' group on facebook to get a new coil that will fit at a much lower cost than psi or lordofbass (usually).  i have a build thread i did of a frankensub to give you an idea of what to do.  

Archived